• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a Little Plastic Can Do...

4 posts in this topic

Wow, that price is really high! I would have expected closer to $18k or $20k. The 1963 in FBL is well known to be a really rare coin (the same with 1961 and 1962).

Almost the entire premium for that coin is based on the FBL designation. That coin is not FBL according to my standards, but PCGS only uses the bottom set of lines. On this coin, the bottom set is full, bold, and undisturbed. The top set of lines, which is really where the difficulty lies, is not complete. Honestly, that is an above average strike for a 1963, which is really all that is required to get the 66.

Link

Apparently I must not know a lot about Franklin Half Dollars. I would have sold it raw for less than a $100. Is that weak of a strike allowed on a 66?

Franklins grade MS67 with flat lower bell lines. This piece has an exceptional strike for a 1963 and there is no cause for reducing the grade due to strike.