• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned Peace dollar question

7 posts in this topic

At the 1989 or 1990 Hawaii State Numismatic Show there was a complete set of awesome toned Peace dollars for sale in NGC66 holders for, if I remember correctly, $275,000. Does anybody know who the dealer was (he was from the mainland) or have any information about this set? It was long before the Registry craze. Thanks, Mike

It was a complete date/mintmark set in 66 ? That would be a truly remarkable set...

I heard about a Wisc collector that put together a high end set but I unfortunately I dont know how/if the set was ever sold... I wonder if that is the same set...

Just out of curiosity, I checked the NGC Registry and there are no sets in the top 10 that are all NGC 66's. For that matter, there wasn't one set out of those 10 that were all NGC. You would think that a set of that caliber would be listed in the Registry. Of course, the buyer could have crossed them all to PCGS, but there is only one set in the top 10 that are all PCGS ranging from MS64 and up. Unfortunately, there are no photos.

Chris (shrug)

Just out of curiosity, I checked the NGC Registry and there are no sets in the top 10 that are all NGC 66's. For that matter, there wasn't one set out of those 10 that were all NGC. You would think that a set of that caliber would be listed in the Registry.

Chris (shrug)

Not necessarily. There are many collectors who have little or no interest in pursuing registry sets and who do not and would not list their collections even if intact.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the NGC Registry and there are no sets in the top 10 that are all NGC 66's. For that matter, there wasn't one set out of those 10 that were all NGC. You would think that a set of that caliber would be listed in the Registry.

Chris (shrug)

Not necessarily. There are many collectors who have little or no interest in pursuing registry sets and who do not and would not list their collections even if intact.

OMG! No way...that's impossible! Oh...the horror!

lol

jom

It was in 1989 or 1990, prior to the Set Registry. As I recall, most if not all, were MS66. As I stated, this set was for sale and over 23 or 24 years has probably been sold many times as individual coins. It was an amazing set. Anybody who was at the show would remember this set. I'm not here to

debate anything, I'm asking if anybody was at the show and remembers the set and who owned it. Many people do not register their coins. I have a friend who has two COMPLETE superb MS sets of PCGS Lincolns and refuses to get involved in the Registry craze.