• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worthy of conservation?

8 posts in this topic

I know this question is more well-suited for the Ask NCS forum, but I submitted it there several days ago and the moderator has to post, so I thought I'd present the question to everyone here ... Do you think this one is worthy of submitting to NCS for conservation?

DISCLAIMER: I know the photos are mediocre at best, but I am just getting started and obviously have a lot to learn.

What's the problem?

Lance.

Trying to figure out if this coin actually has a problem, which has me wondering:

1) If it has been improperly cleaned and, if so, could NCS conservation help restore value to the coin?

2) Is the black toning detracting from it's eye appeal and, if so, could NCS conservation help restore value to the coin?

3) Can I safely presume that if the former is the case, then then the latter is irrelevant?

Thanks.

While it could just be your pictures, the coin exhibits zero cartwheel luster. It looks like a strong AU coin and as such should have (at minimum) luster apparent around the stars and areas like that but does not. That's a pretty clear indicator the coin's been dipped. It's also a lifeless grey kinda color which is is where dipped coins wind up.

The spots are not the distraction you perceive them to be. Just keep the coin as is and enjoy it. That's my opinion.

While it could just be your pictures, the coin exhibits zero cartwheel luster. It looks like a strong AU coin and as such should have (at minimum) luster apparent around the stars and areas like that but does not. That's a pretty clear indicator the coin's been dipped. It's also a lifeless grey kinda color which is is where dipped coins wind up.

The spots are not the distraction you perceive them to be. Just keep the coin as is and enjoy it. That's my opinion.

Thanks not only for your opinion but also for a good explanation of it.

Karl