• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keep this in NGC or try crossover PCGS

10 posts in this topic

It's my understanding that PCGS will assign an actual numerical grade on these. Correct me if I am wrong.

Any suggestions on whether or not so send to PCGS for crossover?

133471.jpg.a2964cd44fc262df189b98ed8380be8f.jpg

133472.jpg.260c823f4a768f6321a3650c25b36503.jpg

To my eye, the coin looks cleaned and damaged, in addition to being chop marked.

RYK is absolutely correct. The coin has been cleaned and damaged. PCGS will only grade chop marked Trade Dollars if they have no other problems with them. It would be pointless to attempt to cross this coin to PCGS. A PCGS uncirculated details slab will not add any value to it.

The chop marked PCGS graded Trade Dollars that I have seen had one or two VERY inconspicuous chop marks that were neatly hidden in the design. I don't think that PCGS would grade this piece which has two chop marks that are really pounded into the coin. As others have stated the coin has also been cleaned. Don't bother with PCGS. They won't grade that coin.

Why? It has a grade: "Unc."

NGC and PCGS are both reputable companies with high reliability. The coin is certainly genuine as described. Why not buy a book with the money you don't waste?