• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1st Numismatiic Purchase of the New Year posted by RichH

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

My 1st Numismatic Purchase of the New Year

My 1st Numismatic puchase of the new year is not a coin, rather Al Blythe's Collector's Guide to Liberty Seated Half Dimes, Published 1992 by DLRC Press, softcover. This complements my purchase last year of Logan & McCloskeys classic work on Federal Half Dimes 1792-1837. Price was $95 from Amazon in near mint condition, a mint book will cost much more. I have really gotten into Half Dimes in the last year, along with the even smaller 3 cent silvers, I am drawn to these two intricate coins like a rising rainbow trout to a well presented dry fly. Happy collecting !

RichH

12813.jpg

See more journals by RichH

Rich, Nice bit of the rainbow there. I have always wanted a half dime but never timed right. Have a extra 3cn NGC in 64 if you run into too many of those half dimes. HeHe

Thanks guys ! The pictured coin is an 1860-O and if you look closely under Miss Liberty's left arm toward her waistline there is heavy, dramatic die clashing. This coin may possibly be the finest known for the variety in a PCGS MS63 holder. It resides in my 19th Century Type Set. The Liberty Seated Half Dime type set has 5 major varieties to collect plus another less known 1 year type, the 1859 'hollow Stars" which I was lucky enough to preview a few years back at the Santa Clara Show at Dr Eugene Bruder's table. Dr Bruder is a great guy and he shared lots of knowledge on this set, schooling me on the many clashed die pieces the series offered. When you see the size of the coin and tiny diameter it is easy to see why this occured so frequently.In addition to reading the book, to increase knowledge on this set I will probably join the Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC) this year. Cheers ! RichH

I'm envious that you found the Logan & McCloskey book on Federal Half Dimes. It's been on my wish list now for about a year. I guess I'll just have to breakdown and spend the $150 to get it. I've been playing Charlie Cheapo for the past year trying to snag one for less money... I too have an interest in half dimes. I thought I was crazy looking at all the dimes I do and then to pick a series with even smaller coins...eccentric!

Good luck to you in 2013!

Todd