• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opening a slab using a shop vise

13 posts in this topic

Anyone tried this yet?

I have made a couple of videos before opening slabs with a happen and a towel. Most of the time it was dangerous and messy with sharp pieces of plastic flying and falling all over the place. Kind of had me like this...

Now, I have always wanted to try a cleaner and smoother method. So I researched many ways of doing it and found a way I wanted to try. This method required a towel, a shop vise and a small flat-head screw driver to open.

dsc01593lx3.jpg

So here is my first time opening up a slab using the shop vise. I must add that it was easy, clean and didn't take much to open.

Please excuse how messy and old looking my work table looks. I have done lots and lots of work on that old table and I still use it to work on projects around the house, toy fixing and building stuff, not to mention lots of painting, hammering, wood cutting, tool fixing, sharpening etc....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go6HAc69W-U

From that particular research I did, it says that this method works great for NGC and PCGS slabs as well.

dsc01594rl7.jpg

I can't imagine why I would ever need to crack out that many coins...

I have had enough luck using a set of snips, just snipping above the coin on each side of the slab and then the plastic usually cracks across and you can just lift out the center.

I hope you are sending the labels back to grading companies. I don't know if PCGS still pays 50 cents a label but it might prove profitable for you to inquire. :) I usually wrap the slab in the towel and crank the vise until I hear a crack and voila no muss no fuss. I unwrap the slab over the garbage can so any shards drop in there and not the floor. No way have I cracked as many as indicated in your picture but each one has been a problem free experience.

I have used a vice before

I usually had to go both directions and stop at first sound of crack

otherwise entire slab went flying somewhere or shattered into many pieces.

The rounded edge slabs are harder to get flat in the vice to keep from one side popping up.