• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1819 CBH

18 posts in this topic

Here's a fairly new CBH. What do you think she graded and what is the Overton number?

Credit for the photos goes to Coindude.

Carl

1819small.jpg

Any help with the Overton number?

Carl

O-

I believe it is an O-107, R4. Nice coin. I am having a hard time telling if the coin appears lackluster because you were trying to emphasize the toning (and the coin really does have good luster), or if the coin really is dull like that. If its a photo technique, I'd grade it AU-53. If the coin is dull, I'd grade it AU-50, maybe (or maybe just call it dipped and retoned, and pass).

A different photo. This one is straight on, the coin has luster, not booming but the luster was there. Jason was correct about the original photo in that it was solely my attempt to capture the color and not the luster.

1819rawsm_zpsab634f11.jpg

Based on the new images, I would grade it AU50 instead of AU53. This is an interesting thread as it shows how much an image - even one taken by a skilled photographer - can cause a large disparity in grade appearance.

Any help with the Overton number?

Carl

O-

I believe it is an O-107, R4. Nice coin. I am having a hard time telling if the coin appears lackluster because you were trying to emphasize the toning (and the coin really does have good luster), or if the coin really is dull like that. If its a photo technique, I'd grade it AU-53. If the coin is dull, I'd grade it AU-50, maybe (or maybe just call it dipped and retoned, and pass).

Just about nailed it.

This is a raw coin. It is an O-107, R4. Coin has nice luster around the Obverse and Reverse periphery and nice album toning. There is a bit of diminished luster in the fields. I do suspect and old cleaning and retoning. This coin looks better than many I have seen in TPG holders. I put the grade at AU50.

I bought this coin for my CBH album and it will fit in very nicely.

Carl