• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just missed out on a major disaster

26 posts in this topic

Threw some old fireplace logs on the fireplace and they burned so hot they blew out the fireplace glass. Sparks and burning embers flying everywhere. Plus I had some coins nearby to do an inventory.

Called the fire department, and they came quickly.

GEEZ.

Jim, since you're ok... I guess it's ok to joke... and even if it wasn't.....

Next time you're doing your fire calculations... make sure to use only one temperature scale.... do not mix Fahrenheit, Celsius, Rankine and Kelvin!!! lol This kind of thing causes hard landings on Mars that could be damaging to satellites!!

Threw some old fireplace logs on the fireplace and they burned so hot they blew out the fireplace glass. Sparks and burning embers flying everywhere.

I don't get this. You closed the glass doors? How did you expect to get heat in the room?

Threw some old fireplace logs on the fireplace and they burned so hot they blew out the fireplace glass. Sparks and burning embers flying everywhere.

I don't get this. You closed the glass doors? How did you expect to get heat in the room?

Our's has an electric fan on both sides, blowing the hot air out. Problem with that is, usually it doesn't burn hot enough with the glass doors closed (no 'draft')...lol BUT, if you get that sucker hot enough, it will blow the glass right out. And, the glass just bursts into little pieces. Happened to me once, a few years back, so I can feel your angst at the time it happened.

Replacement glass isn't all that cheap, either, obviously because it's fireplace glass, and quite thick.

Our's has an electric fan on both sides, blowing the hot air out. Problem with that is, usually it doesn't burn hot enough with the glass doors closed (no 'draft')...lol BUT, if you get that sucker hot enough, it will blow the glass right out. And, the glass just bursts into little pieces. Happened to me once, a few years back, so I can feel your angst at the time it happened.

Replacement glass isn't all that cheap, either, obviously because it's fireplace glass, and quite thick.

Ah. Mine doesn't have a heatilator. My thermopane glass doors are for just when the damper's shut and it's not in use.

Ok, the question comes up, IF the coins had been exposed to heat, would it have been AT or NT?

MM

If he didn't intend the explosion that blew out the glass and exposed the coins to the heat, they're NT. If he did intend it, they're AT. If he didn't know whether or not he intended it, they're QT.

Ok, the question comes up, IF the coins had been exposed to heat, would it have been AT or NT?

MM

Here is the Holy Grail: Would the coins be considered "original" even if MA? :devil:

The only answer I can come up with is another question:If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Riddle me that, Batman!

jom

MM

Here is the Holy Grail: Would the coins be considered "original" even if MA? :devil:

Ok...just when I think I am catching on to the NT/AT discussions, someone throws out a new acronym.... What pray tell is "MA"?

MM

Ok...just when I think I am catching on to the NT/AT discussions, someone throws out a new acronym.... What pray tell is "MA"?

Market Acceptable. It might not be natural, and it might be borderline, but it is accepted by the larger market and third party grading services.

Glad to hear you, your home and your coins are intact! I read in an issue of The Numismatist something about a guy who's house caught fire and damaged the heck out of an NGC box of NGC graded gold coins. Luckily, NGC and NCS were able to safely re-holder the coins and restore them properly.

Talk about careless accidents. A few years ago in Milford CT. A tobacco shop and 4 other businessess in its building got destroyed because an employee of the tobacco shop threw a half smoked cigar that was still lit in a trash can.

My uncle has a business that is about 500 yards from where the fire happened and he said that the air had such as thick scent of "Cohibas and Paul Malls", that he almost started smoking again.

Be careful Jim! Your coins deserve to be safe!

-Dave