• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

American Eagle Anniv. Sets

6 posts in this topic

I'd like to get your feedback. I am very new to the world of collecting coins. I own the 20th and 25th American Eagle Anniversary sets and want to know if it's worth getting some of the higher value coins graded? Is it better to keep the set together without grading or select the higher value coins from the set and have them graded?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Personally, I think you would be wasting your money since the "feeding frenzy" on these has long passed. Besides, not all will receive the anniversary labels unless they are in the unopened shipping box.

If you still have them in the original mint display boxes, I'd leave them like they are.

Chris

I am in the same boat. I missed the few hour window to get the 25th anniversary set from the Mint. When I tried to place the order had the same unpleasant experience that others also experienced of them being gonzo. However, I really wanted a set to complement my 20th, so I bit the bullet and got a set just before they went sky high from a flipper. However, since he received a box of five, he sent me mine in the OGP but I couldn't send them in for the anniversary labels since they weren't in the unopened box of 5 any longer. In retrospect, I probably should have just gotten the 69 slabs after the frenzy, but then I wouldn't have gotten the OGP... I know, I know... I am crazy, but I like the OGP's, especially on the 25th sets... the boxes are really quite impressive. Especially when you compare them to the 20th sets packaging (can you say cheap?)

So, to echo what you have already been told, I would do as I am... keep them in the OGP and enjoy them as they are. They are definite conversation starters on the top shelf of my entertainment center.

I'd suggest keeping your sets uniform, not breaking them up to have some coins graded and some raw, and furthermore risking getting inconsistent grades.

If you want a 25th anniversary set graded and slabbed, then buy a set already that way, with uniform grades, along with the original blue mint box and all insertions, the capsules, felt, and paper certificate. By lucky happenstance, the graded set fits nicely inside the box.

I'd like to get your feedback. I am very new to the world of collecting coins. I own the 20th and 25th American Eagle Anniversary sets and want to know if it's worth getting some of the higher value coins graded? Is it better to keep the set together without grading or select the higher value coins from the set and have them graded?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.