• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plastic vs. Paper

6 posts in this topic

Question.... I have been collecting US Mint Proof, and Silver Sets for the past 7 years or so. My question is should I leave them in the hard plastic original holders in the boxes, or break them out and put them in Dansco Albums.

I don't want them to form milk spots or cloudiness.

All Reply's Welcome...

Thanks Jim

I have proof sets from the 50's to present. I leave them in thier original packaging but thats because I collect them with that specific purpose. I have been buying an extra set the past few years specifically for my Dansco. With any of the proofs sets I have, I've not seen much change in them regardings cloudiness or hazing progression. I would think if there would be any changes that it would be caused by the type of storage they are kept in. I have mine in a cabinet in the house. No wide variations of temperature or humidity changes.

Thx BS

I appreciate the info. I have noticed some of the Silver Quarters are turning blue around the outer rims. I guess thats a good thing.

Would you say the the same as far as ASE's go?

Thanks Jim

I like the example of a 1955 Proof Set. You can't find nice sets in the boxes but the flat packs are still pristine. I's say put them in a book and preserve them as best you know how but keep the box for when you sell.

I had heard that the Mint Casing was not as Airtite as most would think. I was mainly concerned about Moisture and Air getting in, and affecting the coins over the years.

Thanks Guys...... Jim