• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help identifying coin or weight. 3/8" Thick

13 posts in this topic

I couldn't find too much because I can't read all of the inscriptions.

The one most clear is "Honi soit qui mal y pense" which is a French phrase roughly translated as "Shamed be he who thinks evil of it."

This phrase is the motto of the English chivalric "Order of the Garter" and is also dedicated to St. George as England's patron saint.

You can read more here.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Garter

There is one jeton listed in the Mitchiner reference that bears the inscription "honi soit qui mal y pense" and it shows an image of St. George slaying the dragon, but it looks nothing like this. Maybe this was intended to be a crude copy, but I can't be sure.

Chris

It does look like it is probably a weight, possibly for testing for false coin. You'll note the back side (right hand picture) indicates 2 shilling 6 pence (2 S 6 D) which would be half a crown.

It does look like it is probably a weight, possibly for testing for false coin. You'll note the back side (right hand picture) indicates 2 shilling 6 pence (2 S 6 D) which would be half a crown.

So that's what that means! I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it meant.

Chris