• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happens to coins that break free from their cellophane...

6 posts in this topic

..... and come in contact with the cent?

A recent post got me digging for some proof/mint sets I purchased because of some interesting color.

I have seen many results, some ugly some beautiful. Here are some examples of what I believe to be beautiful. Sorry for the over tilted out of focus first photos, but I wanted to show off the color of the coins and I was too lazy to reshoot them!! The 65 cent would lead you to believe that it was treated by MS70, but this is the way it came. Curiously enough the half of the 65 set is pure white. Maybe the difference in colors is due to the clad versus 90% silver? Also, if you look at the 65 quarter and dime you can see striations across, but strangely enough they go from top to bottom on the quarter and left to right on the dime. Maybe that was the way the planchet was rolled?

Does anyone else have any examples?

65co_zps11e0ff3b.jpg

65no_zps329bbe5f.jpg

65do_zps41b1fb3c.jpg

65dr_zps10a9433d.jpg

65qo_zps77f2343a.jpg

65qr_zps56c3ee06.jpg

64do_zps446151c2.jpg

64dr_zps7bfb8df9.jpg

64ho_zps157befa3.jpg

64hr_zps1adaee38.jpg

Thanks for the nice giveaway. Please include me.

+1

I have a 1962 proof set with the cellophane separated between the dime and half dollar.

the Franklin is a beautiful copper on both sides, more so than the cent.

DSC01244.jpg

That's beautiful Bob, I have one that is a twin to your half.... and... don't be surprised if at least some of these come to you as a late Christmas gift for all you do for the collectors on this board!!

Thank you Martin, I will have to take better pictures of the 65 dime and quarter, those are the ones that I would hate to have my name associated with.... the penny stinks too now that I think about it! And Martin... pick out your favorite and PM me and it yours!

That's beautiful Bob, I have one that is a twin to your half.... and... don't be surprised if at least some of these come to you as a late Christmas gift for all you do for the collectors on this board!!

Thanks Sam. Believe me I have received much more from this board in the way of knowledge, friendship and joy than I have given. It's a pleasure being a member.