• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Values

17 posts in this topic

Hello coinees,

These pictures aren't very good, but can anyone help with approximate values for any of these coins. They are from my dad's "collection". He passed away a few Christmases ago. He has a bunch of silver, but I'm guessing most aren't worth much more than their weight in silver.

I believe the bag is full of Morgans, but I'm not even sure if that's what they are. They range from the late 1890s to the 1920s, with 1922 seeming to be most common.

Thanks for any input.

Greenville-20121223-00026_zps5a5dfac2.jpg

Greenville-20121223-00020_zps9cdcbb1c.jpg

Greenville-20121223-00021_zps9149bacb.jpg

Greenville-20121223-00022_zps8e968714.jpg

Greenville-20121223-00023_zps4b5f6968.jpg

You are correct .... very poor pictures indeed ... so much that I can't read the dates so I would venture a guess that the majority, if not all, are worth silver bullion with perhaps a little bump depending on condition. Just in case you can list years and mint marks it would help. The non-holed, Seated Liberty halves are worth 2-3X silver unless they are overdates/errors and then can garner more. My question is with the Belgium piece .... is it a medal or a coin?

I noticed you have over 2500 posts ... are you typically a note or comic book collector?

You need to find a coin dealer that you can trust to do right by you. Coin dealers are in business to make money, and such a collection is exactly what they would most want to buy. Ask coin collecting friends, maybe they can steer you right. Don't jump at the first offer, get offers from many dealers.

Good luck.

You are correct .... very poor pictures indeed ... so much that I can't read the dates so I would venture a guess that the majority, if not all, are worth silver bullion with perhaps a little bump depending on condition. Just in case you can list years and mint marks it would help. The non-holed, Seated Liberty halves are worth 2-3X silver unless they are overdates/errors and then can garner more. My question is with the Belgium piece .... is it a medal or a coin?

I noticed you have over 2500 posts ... are you typically a note or comic book collector?

CV,

Yes, I am from Comic Land. I have never really coillected coins or paper money. So, I don't know too much about them. I'll try to list the dates amd mint marks on them a little bit later.

As far as the Beligian piece goes, I'll have to look at it again too. I'm pretty sure it's a coin though.

You need to find a coin dealer that you can trust to do right by you. Coin dealers are in business to make money, and such a collection is exactly what they would most want to buy. Ask coin collecting friends, maybe they can steer you right. Don't jump at the first offer, get offers from many dealers.

Good luck.

Thanks, Mozin. If my mom would like to liquidate it, that's what I'll do. It appears that most of what my dad had is just silver coins, with not too much extra value.

I posted some silver and gold notes in the paper forum, but I think those are just worth a little more than face too.

Hello coinees,

These pictures aren't very good, but can anyone help with approximate values for any of these coins. They are from my dad's "collection". He passed away a few Christmases ago. He has a bunch of silver, but I'm guessing most aren't worth much more than their weight in silver.

I believe the bag is full of Morgans, but I'm not even sure if that's what they are. They range from the late 1890s to the 1920s, with 1922 seeming to be most common.

Thanks for any input.

Greenville-20121223-00022_zps8e968714.jpg

That Belgium piece is a coin, I think probably a 5 Francs from somewhere between 1830-1865. If you can take a picture of the reverse of the coin that would be helpful for identification. Try to take the picture from directly above (shooting straight down on the coin) if you can, so the full design is in focus. :)

Greenville-20121223-00023_zps4b5f6968.jpg

The one in the middle here is a Columbian commemorative half dollar. It was struck in 1893 and 1892 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the "Discovery" of America by Christopher Columbus. They were originally for sale to help fund the Columbian Exposition I believe. You can read more about it at this link.

The great majority of the value for the US coins that you have shared in this thread would be the bullion content of the silver dollars. The current spot price of silver is just under $30 per troy ounce and each silver dollar contains just over 0.77 troy ounces silver. Therefore, each silver dollar has about $23 of silver. In general, common silver dollars that are uncleaned sell for a premium to their silver content.

You should either buy a copy of the Red Book or go to one of the large book chains and sit down to read it or to read one of the monthly coin magazines such as Coin Values or COINage. All of these will have an area devoted to prices for specific issues and will give you an idea if all your coins are common or if there is a key date coin worth many multiples of the other pieces. The Morgan dollars either have no mintmark (Philadelphia coins) or have a mintmark directly beneath the bow on the wreath on the reverse, which is right between the D and O of DOLLAR. Peace dollars have a mintmark at about 8:00 o'clock near the rim on the reverse directly above the eagle's tailfeathers and beneath the O of ONE. Learn a bit and do not clean the coins. This will give you an idea of their values when and if you sell the pieces. The silver coinage is very easily sold on the BST or to any number of local dealers.

Here's the best I could do. I understand condition is a huge factoir, but I simply don't know how to grade coins. Most are mid to low grade, but there might be one or two that could be worth grading.

1879 S

1886 None

1890 O

1896 None

1898 None

1900 None, O

1901 O

1921 8 None, 8 S

1922 18 None or not looking in right spot

1923 10 ? Stars?

1924 5 Stars?

1926 1

Some of the later ones lookj like stars on the front. I never knew there was an O.

Unfortunately none of the dates that you have listed are a premium date / mintmark variety. But, they are at least worth silver price which today is a little over $23. I doubt any of them would be worth slabbing as it wouldn't increase the value enough.

Unfortunately none of the dates that you have listed are a premium date / mintmark variety. But, they are at least worth silver price which today is a little over $23. I doubt any of them would be worth slabbing as it wouldn't increase the value enough.

Thanks all. I figured my dad was too frugal to pay for anything more than the silver content, but I needed to check.

I'm going to assume the bag of 1973 pennies direct from the mint are not valuable either. :P

If the bag of cents is unopened then you can sell them for a premium. Heck, even if opened, there are folks who would buy mint state rolls of 1970s era Lincoln cents. There may be more value in that bag than you realize.

Are the 8 none 1921 dollars morgans or peace dollars? Any 21 peace$ would have a decent premium over spot depending on condition.