• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Columbian Half Doubling?? Beware, lots of pics !!

8 posts in this topic

I was wondering if this is normal for a Columbian Half Dollar. It has a real nice die crack going across "Worlds" and the date and most letters have a little doubling to them. Any opinions? Thanks!!

IMG_6007-1.jpg

IMG_6007.jpg

IMG_6006.jpg

IMG_6005-1.jpg

IMG_6004.jpg

IMG_6003.jpg

IMG_6002.jpg

IMG_6000.jpg

IMG_6001.jpg

Yeah doubling but it is machine doubling to my eyes.
I'm thinking the same here. From the photos the doubling looks quite shelf like which means to me that it's machine doubling.

I was wondering if this is normal for a Columbian Half Dollar. It has a real nice die crack going across "Worlds" and the date and most letters have a little doubling to them. Any opinions? Thanks!!

IMG_6003.jpg

This one particular image gives one the clue necessary to determine just what is going on here. The entire element (letter/number) has been shifted like the top layer of a cake. This to me indicates ejection/machine doubling which can be found on many 1892/93 Colombians.

Nice close ups btw

Since I came in on this a little late, there is no point repeating what everyone has said about the doubling.

Nice photos, Bobby!

Best wishes for the holidays!

Chris

Thanks for the info ya'll. I figured as much but I always look forward to getting opinions and extra info on stuff like this from ya'll. I especially like the die cracks on this coin. I had never looked this close at it in the years I've owned it. lol Thank you all and a Merry Christmas back at ya!!!!