• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5 cent 1885

14 posts in this topic

I got a chance to buy this one.

can anyone tell me something about the line across the head??

does it increase price?

and whats going on on reverse?

what would a good price be for a coin like this.

it is pretty rare right?

sorry for the bad sellers picture.. im going to se this on in hand next week.

i am buying this coin to invest some money (maybe) :o

VNICKEL_zps979a33b6.png

BAGSIDEVNICKEL_zps4b7cdcca.png

The 1885 Liberty nickel is the key date in the series, but this piece has a lot of problems. I'm not sure what caused the vertical line through Ms. Liberty's head is. My guess is that it is a planchet lamination.

The black and green residue that you see on the obverse and especially the reverse is corrosion. Copper-nickel coins turn black when they corrode, sometimes with green spots, and that is what you see here. The sharpness grade of the piece is EF, but the corrosion pulls it down to a net grade of Fine IMO, and I would not want this coin for Fine money.

This coin is not an "investment" piece if there is such a thing in numismatics. It is a problem coin that many collectors would view as a "fancy filler" because of the sharpness combined with the corrosion. I would advise against purchasing it unless it is dirt cheap, like $400, and even then it would not be the easiest coin to resell.

Revised to say maybe "dirt cheap" is more like $250 or $300. At any rate as a collector I won't want it at that price. The coin really is a on eye sore to those who know how to grade coins.

Thanks alot for some quick response.

this coin is priced at aprox 500$

if the line increased the price maybe it would be a good price..

but maybe i should let it go else where.

Don't invest in coins.

But if you do, know what you're doing first, so you don't have to ask questions about coins like the one you posted. I think it's a bad deal at $500 and a poor coin to choose, whether you want to enjoy your purchase and/or make money on it.

Save your money.

thanks for the advise.

just thought i could make some money resell the coin.

but i told him no deal.

i wanna be good at this and thats why im here to learn from the best.

thanks again for your time and advise and for always showing some awesome coins.

I LOVE "fancy fillers" (love that term, Bill, hadn't heard it before)...love them. It's really the only way I can have holes filled that would otherwise cost hundreds and thousands of dollars.

The key, as has been noted, is the price. They have to be substantially discounted, far below what a non-problem coin would sell for. There IS a market for problem coins (provided, of course, that the problem is neutralized), and I have bought and sold many such coins. So long as everyone knows exactly what they are getting, everyone's good.

I had a 1919-S SLQ that had clearly been in a fire of some sort, with some fire damage:

037-10.jpg

I disclosed the issue, with this big pic, and sold it for $68. I was happy, buyer was happy.

Damn.. after i told him that i did not wanted to buy it for 500$ he went to 430$

i had to pass

He then went to the local auction

and it sold for 1350 $ :o

:makepoint:

I think James as a good point as well the 5 in the date doesn't look right.

Nothing wrong with the 5, that's how this date looks. Plenty wrong with the coin itself, the epitome of negative eye appeal. Avoid unless you really like losing money.