• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little fun with MS70 and copper

6 posts in this topic

I know we've had some emotional debates about MS70 coin brightener and copper. And I don't mean to fuel more. I just thought I'd see for myself what MS70 would do to some ordinary Lincolns.

So I chose four coins. A full red, a RB with common toning, another RB with dark tone, and a full BN.

Each coin was swabbed with MS70, and then the solution was removed after a several seconds, using a Qtip.

All coins were rinsed in water and air dried before reimaging. Before and after results follow. The image colors are correct.

The 1920 had the common look of a RB Lincoln with a mix of toned brown and original mint red. It had a very noticeable change with striking beet red, purple and blue.

The RD 1940-D lost its pumpkin orange color. In hand it looks pretty much like an ordinary red cent, though with a loupe and in these images you can see pale blue spots.

I didn't take a hard look at the darkly toned 1930 before I chose it. After seeing the results I believe the toning it had was organic and probably would have dipped off in acetone. I used several swabs to clean it up. Not sure there's much to conclude about this one.

After applying MS70 to the brown 1952 it appeared to have much more blue than the images suggest, but a subtle, powdery blue, not electric like the 1920. I propped it on a paper clip to get a little angle and shot two more pix. Didn't make a big difference.

A fun morning experiment. Maybe I'll do something similar with eZest, Blue Ribbon, CoinCare and Verdigone.

Just my two cents...well, four.

Lance.

DSC08507_zps6d389c07.jpgDSC08508_zps09b3c48a.jpg

DSC08509_zps6605b5f0.jpgDSC08510_zps5dc1ae75.jpg

DSC08511_zpsa2f5d663.jpgDSC08512_zpsde9f90e1.jpg

DSC08517_zps1972f0fc.jpgDSC08518_zps9e88c3f1.jpg

DSC08513_zpsf8872eca.jpgDSC08514_zps143e585d.jpg

DSC08519_zps5cbe4fdf.jpgDSC08520_zps5f9ca0f6.jpg

DSC08515_zpsde43359a.jpgDSC08516_zps38a08930.jpg

DSC08523_zpscfb8b253.jpgDSC08524_zps9ba5ab46.jpg

DSC08525_zps004b0a23.jpgDSC08526_zps3e3e350d.jpg

Interesting. The 1920 is improved as it go rid of some of the spots. On the other hand it ruined the 1940. JMO.

jom

"The 1920 had the common look of a RB Lincoln with a mix of toned brown and original mint red. It had a very noticeable change with striking beet red, purple and blue."

What happened is you stripped off the brown patina and revealed the stunning blue-red-violet toning underneath. Look at this one before and after and your other coins and tell me this is not so.....

Best, HT

IMHO, I think its a 50/50 if you are to score overall outcome of appeal and appearance.

.The 1920 looks nice with the revealed toning. The 1930 definately brighter but it made some of the scratches and surface wear more visable. The 1952 came out way to distorted looking with the off colors revealed.

I rarely use any coin cleaners or whatever on my coins. The only time I do is on hazy Mint Set coins and crusty green cents.

IMHO, Your experiment was well worth it and I am glad I read this post because I have considered the similiar experiment. But I wouldn't use the Brightener on all your wheat Cents or Copper coins.

Just out of curiousity, when it comes to TPG submissions, would the MS70 Brightener or similar cleaners/chemicals make the coin ungradable and subject to a Details holder?

-Dave

IMHO, I think its a 50/50 if you are to score overall outcome of appeal and appearance.

.The 1920 looks nice with the revealed toning. The 1930 definately brighter but it made some of the scratches and surface wear more visable. The 1952 came out way to distorted looking with the off colors revealed.

I rarely use any coin cleaners or whatever on my coins. The only time I do is on hazy Mint Set coins and crusty green cents.

IMHO, Your experiment was well worth it and I am glad I read this post because I have considered the similiar experiment. But I wouldn't use the Brightener on all your wheat Cents or Copper coins.

Just out of curiousity, when it comes to TPG submissions, would the MS70 Brightener or similar cleaners/chemicals make the coin ungradable and subject to a Details holder?

-Dave

No I have done the same experiment and here are the results, one in PCGS and one in NGC plastic. The most interesting thing is that on all the copper coins I've experimented with its very hard to duplicate results as each coin has a slightly different reaction. Keep in mind that of all the coins I've tested these are the only two I've ever submitted because I had the same question as you posed. Now its possible that today the tpg's might reject these; when I submitted them BN designated coins were not popular and the street value was zilch.

1934dcobvmd.jpg

1934dcrevmd.jpg

1931scobvmd.jpg

1931screvmd.jpg