• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheap little newp - peace with color of course

18 posts in this topic

Exactly what is less acceptable about the "spots"?

Is it not just darker toning, and random by time, as opposed to intentionally made dark?

Is the coin condemned by the spots because the coin is suspicious?

Is it because it is not "pretty"? What does pretty spots vs. ugly spots have to do with a numismatic piece that is a nice MS grade?

Is this a "I can't really explain it but I know it when I see it" issue?

Is it about "market" acceptability and market grading?

Is it brain washing?

Is it non-hobby-like to not consider the spots a detriment?

Is it not just darker toning, and random by time, as opposed to intentionally made dark?

Is it because it is not "pretty"? What does pretty spots vs. ugly spots have to do with a numismatic piece that is a nice MS grade?

Is it brain washing?

John, it's called personal preference. I agree with others -- the dark spots are distracting and unsightly in my opinion.

There are two magnitudes of spots here, the large obverse spots which could have come from a little spittle emitted in chitchatting about the weather.

Plus there are numerous tiny spots on both sides, seemingly an attack of measles, collectively considered toning, at least here in this thread.

My theory for partly explaining both magnitudes of spots is the germ theory:

1. Our air is crawling with trillions of microscopic microorganisms of numerous kinds, bacteria, fungi, algae, protozoa, viruses; cells, spores, pollen.

2. Both silver & copper (among other metals) are poisonous to many microorganisms, including those airborne.

3. The surfaces of coins with either or both Cu & Ag will inevitably become littered with billions of carcasses, adding perceived coloration to the surfaces, often in an uneven way.

Is it brain washing?

John, it's called personal preference. I agree with others -- the dark spots are distracting and unsightly in my opinion.

I am not presenting a position of agreement or disagreement.

I am asking why- what drives the personal preference, and 'condemns" an MS coin to a lesser status in the numismatic hobby world.

Is it brain washing?

I am not presenting a position of agreement or disagreement.

I am asking why- what drives the personal preference, and 'condemns" an MS coin to a lesser status in the numismatic hobby world.

Should we also answer the question as to why we prefer blondes or brunettes or red-heads? I don't think the philosophical slant will get you too far on this one.

As for my personal opinion, I find dark spots to be unsightly and distracting, and I worry that they will get larger or worse, and damage the underlying metal over time. Just one of many reasons I suppose.

Spots spoil it for me. Sorry.

But it sounds like you got a good price.

Lance.

I agree. Spots like that usually turn me away from the coins that have them.

+2

Any eye appeal that the color provides is cancelled out by the spots.

I think the spots are ugly - but the rest of the coin is quite attractive. It balances out, but the spots would probably keep me from this one. At the right price though, this could be a good buy - especially with the ridiculous premium some toned peace dollars seem to be listed at.

I think the spots are ugly - but the rest of the coin is quite attractive. It balances out, but the spots would probably keep me from this one. At the right price though, this could be a good buy - especially with the ridiculous premium some toned peace dollars seem to be listed at.

This one hammered at 56$ with free ship. Thought that was a fair price considering the spots.