• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Its a Sorry Day posted by wmfielding

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

major coin dealer refuses to stand behind there product.

I resently bought 4 Roosevelt dimes from Silvertowne. A 1948 D ,1948 S 1948 P and a 1950 D. The 1948 D Graded MS 64 FT about what I expected The 1950 D graded the same. however the 1948 P and the 1948 S came back improperly cleaned. I have spent well over $8000.00 with this company this year alone. when I contacted them today there only recourse was for me to send them back the slabbed coins and they would replace them with two raw coins. now I'm out $34.00 in grading fees plus the cost of return shipping ect.

I'm no coin grader and I am trying to learn how to tell an improperly cleaned coin from a good one. I have a 100x by 200x microscope that hooks up to my computer and I check every raw coin I send In looing for signs of altered surfaces scraches ect and these two coins looked no better or worse than the other two coins.

In closing my rant Silvertowne lost a good custormer today and I will be looking up everything I can find to learn to tell the differance between a good goin and a cleaned coin.

Merry Christmas to all and happy collecting

See more journals by wmfielding

First off let me just say this, I think all of us have felt your pain at some time in our collecting experience. From this point on I will never buy another raw coin unless I go into it expecting it to be not certifiable or just buying it for the bullion value. If they advertised them as not cleaned then you might have a legit issue with them but again most sellers of raw coins give you such a limited return time that you do not have time too send them in too be graded. Stick too graded coins from recognized TPGs and be patient.

just a thought, maybe some of the experts here would be willing to look at them first as a courtesy not for grading purposes but to avoid the dreaded body bag. I may be asking alot as i know everybody is busy.....but i know I hate to hear these stories A couple bucks extra shipping vs grading fees might be worth it

Over the years, I have found it much more satisfying to work with smaller dealers than large 'coin companies'. There are several I work with often for either foreign coins or paper money. Their personal knowledge and ethical standards have far surpassed anything I received from the 'big boys'. Not only do they know much more about the material they offer, but they believe in establishing a real collector relationship ~ never any question about returning purchases. I have even had their raw coins and notes come back at higher grades from NGC and PMG than what they or I expected! Keep working on improving your own grading skill and don't give up along the way!!

First off let me just say this, I think all of us have felt your pain at some time in our collecting experience. From this point on I will never buy another raw coin unless I go into it expecting it to be not certifiable or just buying it for the bullion value. If they advertised them as not cleaned then you might have a legit issue with them but again most sellers of raw coins give you such a limited return time that you do not have time too send them in too be graded. Stick too graded coins from recognized TPGs and be patient.

I don't think this is good advice myself. If you only stick to graded coins, what knowledge will you gain on determining cleaned coins. We have all paid the price of buying cleaned coins in the past, gaining knowledge of different types of cleaning can help a person enjoy the hobby more and not make themselves limited to what they purchase. Jmo

I don't think this is good advice myself. If you only stick to graded coins, what knowledge will you gain on determining cleaned coins. We have all paid the price of buying cleaned coins in the past, gaining knowledge of different types of cleaning can help a person enjoy the hobby more and not make themselves limited to what they purchase. Jmo

Mike, Sorry to hear from your experience but there is a good line there. You have 2 that graded and two that didn't. First off PUSH the microscope to the side ( it is no good for grading coins!!!). Next set up a light and roll your new slabs to see the detail that the graders found.

Once you figure what to look for you can buy 10 dimes from anyone -- RAW and then send in the 5 you know will grade. I have been doing the State Quarters for the simple reason of getting better at grading.

Good Luck in your future picks!!!

I have a rule of thumb.

IMO

I am willing to buy from a dealer that sells primarily raw coins.

If a coin dealer sells mostly slabbed coins, any raw coins they sell likely didn't make it being graded.

.....and most of the raw coins you see on eBay described as "gem BU" will not grade as high as MS-64,and many of them have been cleaned. If they were really MS-65 quality, the seller would submit them himself.