• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mint looks into alternate materials for coinage........

13 posts in this topic

I don't know why they don't just strike very limited numbers of pennies and nickels. Every home in America has some drawer , dish, bowl, bottle or jar full of these. MAKE people stop hoarding them.

Government.......

I don't know why they don't just strike very limited numbers of pennies and nickels. Every home in America has some drawer , dish, bowl, bottle or jar full of these. MAKE people stop hoarding them.

Government.......

Agreed, but won't happen

Striking just a very limited number of pieces would INCREASE hoarding. The new low mintage coins would be perceived as rarities and would be hoarded. (Can you say 2009 dimes and nickels?) The resulting drop in cent availability would make all cents seem to be becoming scarcer, possibly leading to rumors of recalls or discontinuance, and that would increase hoarding of cents in general making them even scarcer and creating a self fulfilling prophesy.

Examples of all experimental pieces are being saved and transferred to the NNC at Smithsonian. This was quietly instituted by Dir. Moy several years ago as part of the ownership agreement between Treasury and SI.

Did they just select letters to see how they would look or is that so me latin on the coins?

Also what are you doing in my drawers!!(tsk)

Canada stopped making pennies and it seems to have had virtually no impact. I would think they could discontinue for entire years at a time thus not creating collectors to go crazy and try to get their hands on and hoard limited runs. Say mint pennies one year then nickels the next.

Did they just select letters to see how they would look or is that so me latin on the coins?

It's called "Lorem Ipsum." It is dummy text used by the printing industry. It mimics the appearance of real words without actually having any meaning - kind of like Fox Gnuz. The purpose is to allow viewers to concentrate on the layout and not be distracted by reading intelligible text.

If it "looks" Latin, that's because it is based on a quote from Cicero in 45 BCE.

It's called "Lorem Ipsum." It is dummy text used by the printing industry. It mimics the appearance of real words without actually having any meaning - kind of like Fox Gnuz. The purpose is to allow viewers to concentrate on the layout and not be distracted by reading intelligible text.

If it "looks" Latin, that's because it is based on a quote from Cicero in 45 BCE.

Always insightful RWB. I guess the purpose failed on me as that is what caught my attention (shrug)