• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kennedy 1971D double die

46 posts in this topic

I have been doing some checking on prices for these coins on the internet. I checked on ebay. I am wondering if all kennedy's 1971D are double die. I have several and it is very complicated. If the coin is held up to the light one way, it looks like a double die; turn the coin another angle and the double die isnt seen. I thought about sending them to ngc and on the other hand, I dont see them selling at a large profit. Perhaps that is the reason there are so many on ebay that are not certified. the ones that I have are clad 1971D DDO (at least it looks that way when held in a certain way)...(hot dog, DDO?new for me!)...a few of these coins sell a little bit more if certified but not that much more....any suggestions? I am thinking if I post them on ebay along with the silver 1964-68, I would get more for them...or more if sold for the silver content? what do you guys think?

It would be very improbable that anyone would attempt to give you advice about selling or grading these coins without first seeing photos of them. That is like playing darts blindfolded.

I can tell you this, though. If you found these coins in circulation, they would definitely not be worth having graded.

Why do you think including these clad coins with silver coins would result in a higher price on eBay? It doesn't make sense.

Chris

Before listing any Kennedy's on ebay, spend about 2 days watching the listings sell, you willquickly see what sells and what doesn't. You will see listings with and without clad coins. the sales all pretty much go for the same price as long as you are comparing apples to apples. If you have 50 cents in them and they are silver, list away, if you paid close to melt, you will lose money after paying fees. Yonico sometimes lists junk silver for about 5% under melt here. I'll bet he makes more than on ebay

junk silver are the 1964 and older coins that are not worth grading, they still have 90% silver content and have a melt value that you can get here. the exception is the 1965-70 Kennedy halves that are 40% silver. Theyu are good for your doomsday kit

junk silver are the 1964 and older coins that are not worth grading, they still have 90% silver content and have a melt value that you can get here. the exception is the 1965-70 Kennedy halves that are 40% silver. Theyu are good for your doomsday kit

What?

The coins the carry the date of 1964 or earlier (only the 1964 is Kennedy) are 90% silver. The 1965-1970 are 40% silver. Both types are considered junk silver insofar as in low grade uncirculated and in circulated condition, the coins do not carry much if any premium over melt. With this said, the 90% coins seem more liquid than the 40% coins, and few want to bother with the 40% and these routinely trade for below melt.

In response to the original post, not all 1971-D coins are double dies. Also, without seeing images, it is hard to advise you. It is quite possible that any doubling is strike or machine doubling and the coins are unlikely to carry much if any premium. If the coin is a legitimate DDO, then any premium would depend on the amount of doubling, how conspicuous it is, and the location of the doubling.

What?

The coins the carry the date of 1964 or earlier (only the 1964 is Kennedy) are 90% silver. The 1965-1970 are 40% silver. Both types are considered junk silver insofar as in low grade uncirculated and in circulated condition, the coins do not carry much if any premium over melt. With this said, the 90% coins seem more liquid than the 40% coins, and few want to bother with the 40% and these routinely trade for below melt.

your first para repeated what I said, the answer to your question was from a statement about listing on ebay earlier

well, I just thought if they were together they will sell for me due to the kennedy's silver. Dont know just saying....

If you dump the clad 71's into the mix with some junk silver Kennedy's you are apt to get less for the silver because nobody wants to mess with clad coins that are very, very common.

Chris

your first para repeated what I said, the answer to your question was from a statement about listing on ebay earlier

No, you said "junk silver [coins] are the 1964 and older coins... the exception is 1965-1970 Kennedy halves that are 40% silver." Why are 90% Kennedy Halves junk silver and 40% Kennedy Half Dollars the "exception"? Also, what does they phrase that the 40% half dollars "are good for your doomsday kit" mean? Your post doesn't make sense to me.

The exception being that they are 40% not 90%, all are junk if not worth grading. All junk good for doomsday kit, when the economy fails, and money is worthless, barter and bullion will be where value is. Junk silver is good because you don't want to pay for a something with a 1 0z gold piece, how can you make change for that? For small purchases, junk silver is perfect. When the value of the dollar falls through QE, the value of bullion rises.

In response to the original post, not all 1971-D coins are double dies. Also, without seeing images, it is hard to advise you. It is quite possible that any doubling is strike or machine doubling and the coins are unlikely to carry much if any premium. If the coin is a legitimate DDO, then any premium would depend on the amount of doubling, how conspicuous it is, and the location of the doubling.

All 1971-D Kennedy half dollar dies were produced using a Doubled Hub; thus all will show Hub Doubling, which CONECA describes as:

"Light spread on last 1 of date and Y of LIBERTY with rotation on I of IN, TRUST, and E and T of LIBERTY"

Additionally, there are two strong Doubled Dies known for the date, along with a handful of minor ones. All of these will show true die doubling in addition to the Doubled Hub details.

The Doubled Hub coins are worth no additional premium. It is the Doubled Die coins that are worth money, and only the two that are listed by the Cherrypicker's Guide are worth a substantial amount.

http://www.dmrarecoins.com/servlet/the-1810/1971-dsh-D-NGC-MS66-DDO/Detail

It is the Doubled Die coins that are worth money, and only the two that are listed by the Cherrypicker's Guide are worth a substantial amount.

http://www.dmrarecoins.com/servlet/the-1810/1971-dsh-D-NGC-MS66-DDO/Detail

I had no idea these were worth that kind of premium. I have one of the other 6 top pop MS66 FS-101 (VP-001) NGC attributed coins. Is there much market for these varieties though?

The doubling is most prevalent in the word "TRUST".

132850.jpg.8071e5272686d1d8051bec032c6dca7a.jpg

132851.jpg.66c30e2a78aaa29e9310eeabb8b649e8.jpg

The 1971-D DDO's are somewhat under-rated, considering they are similar to the 1974-D, which is very popular. The lesser varieties and hub doubling factor have muddied the waters somewhat, and the market for them is mixed.

So you guys are saying with the melt value of silver hovering in the 33 dollars range, these kennedy's half dollars are considered "junk silver?" Would I have a better profit selling them for the silver content based on the melt value? Maybe more profitable posting on ebay? A Kennedy coin isnt worth being graded because we know it's 90% silver? Is that what is being said here? The '71D are 40% silver and some have double die errors. I sure hope I can get some real answers on this question for all of those concerned including myself because I was going to have the '71D graded now I am not sure if it's worth it. I do notice on ebay that those graded are selling very well....

Thank you for the information. I have 10x magnification and it's still hard to verify the doubling depending on how it is held under the light. I have a few that I wanted to have grading. What is the best way to sell the 90% silver coins to collections that want them for the silver content? Of course there are other auctions other than ebay.

Thanks for the photos, I can see the doubling here as long as the coin is held with the words facing. Once the coins are turned in another angle there isnt any doubling. I am trying to use my money wisely when sending off for grading. I guess I am going to have to take a chance that I might just have a plain coin and no doubling....:(

The '71D are 40% silver and some have double die errors. I sure hope I can get some real answers on this question for all of those concerned including myself because I was going to have the '71D graded now I am not sure if it's worth it. I do notice on ebay that those graded are selling very well....

The 71-D IS NOT 40% silver! It is a common copper/nickel clad coin. The only 40% silver coins are the 1965-1970 and the Bicentennial special issue that was in the 3-coin set ($, 50c & 25c).

Chris

Not all Kennedy's are silver, the 1964's are 90% silver, 1965-1970 are 40% silver. If they are in circulated condition they are not worth much more than melt value currently 11.71 for the 1964's and 4.79 for the 65-70's. If they are truly circulated, they are considered junk silver because there is virtually no numismatic value in them. For you to spend 15-20 dollars to have each of them graded is a money losing proposition for you. If you paid close to melt value you will lose money selling them on ebay. your fees will be around 11-12% on your sale price. You will lose money. As I stated earlier, some people will sell them for melt minus 5% here. that is a bit better than selling on ebay. It all depends how much money you spent on them. If you got them for 50 cents you stand to make a profit. do your research before doing anything. Go to ebay search for silver kennedy halves, watch a few sales end, figure out the pricing and go to it. they sell everyday, all day long.

So you guys are saying with the melt value of silver hovering in the 33 dollars range, these kennedy's half dollars are considered "junk silver?" Would I have a better profit selling them for the silver content based on the melt value?

If they are normal strikes and not errors, then yes unless they are very high grade (usually MS66 or higher depending on the date).

The '71D are 40% silver and some have double die errors. I sure hope I can get some real answers on this question for all of those concerned including myself because I was going to have the '71D graded now I am not sure if it's worth it. I do notice on ebay that those graded are selling very well....

(1) There is no silver in 1971 Denver minted Kennedy Half Dollars. In 1964, the first year of issue, the coins contained 90%. The coins from 1965-1970 contain 40% silver. I think you are confusing the 1971-D with the 1970-D. There are also some special collector coins that contain silver. For instance, certain 1976 bicentennial issues sold in certain (not all) mint sets which contain 40% silver or the 90% silver half dollars in silver proof sets issued from 1992 to the present.

(2) It depends on the specific double die that you have, if it is a double die. Again, there are many factors and just because a single type of double die sells for large premiums doesn't mean that yours will. Unless you have exact attributions (using, e.g., Fivaz- Stanton numbers, etc.) and they match the eBay coin, your coin could be for a different variety.

(3) It is hard to advise you without images and more information. The chances are high that you have nothing more than clad coins that may or may not have machine doubling. If it is merely machine doubling, the coins are not worth much, if anything over the coin's face value. Even normal uncirculated pieces can be had for a couple of bucks.

Yes, I did get confused about the Kennedy's '71D containing silver. It is the double die that I was thinking of....I am beginning to think, unless these coins are in mint condtion they aren't worth much...only the melt value...(this is a lot more complicated that I thought) It takes a lot of knowledge, research, and experience to really know what one is doing....at any rate it is going to take me at least a year to get the hang of it....unless I come across a real valuable coin..

Yes, I did get confused about the Kennedy's '71D containing silver. It is the double die that I was thinking of....I am beginning to think, unless these coins are in mint condtion they aren't worth much...only the melt value...(this is a lot more complicated that I thought) It takes a lot of knowledge, research, and experience to really know what one is doing....at any rate it is going to take me at least a year to get the hang of it....unless I come across a real valuable coin..

If you don't have one yet, I suggest that you get a copy of the Red Book of United States Coins by R. S. Yeoman. It's published by Whitman Books and is available on their website.

Although I don't recommend that you go by their price guides, the book does contain a world of information about every coin that has ever been produced or used in the US since colonial times.

Chris

Ok...on a serious note, I have 4 each unc's 1971-D Kennedy's from different sources and not one exhibits the DDO traits, so what I am saying is not ALL Kennedy's struck from the Denver Mint are DDO's (unless it is so slight it would take 100X magnification to detect doubling)

Ok...on a serious note, I have 4 each unc's 1971-D Kennedy's from different sources and not one exhibits the DDO traits, so what I am saying is not ALL Kennedy's struck from the Denver Mint are DDO's (unless it is so slight it would take 100X magnification to detect doubling)

Woody,

You probably have the one that is sooooooooooooooooooooooo rare that it can't be detected at all, even with an electron microscope.

Chris

Woody,

You probably have the one that is sooooooooooooooooooooooo rare that it can't be detected at all, even with an electron microscope.

Chris

I have some of those too

Late to the game but for the 1071D Kennedy, there is doubling on the T's and Y's in LIBERTY for everyone of them. Likewise, nearly all have a doubled lower serif on the I of the Motto. These are series doubled since this Master Doubled Die was used for 1972 as well.

My experience with doubled die's is if you have look "real hard"........... then you don't have a doubled die.

Doubled dies come is different degrees of separation and even moderate separation is easily detectable even on worn coins.

As for all the 71D Doubled Die on eBay? 99% of them are machine doubled coins being hawked as double dies or doubled dies.