• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kennedy 1971D double die

46 posts in this topic

Late to the game but for the 1071D Kennedy, there is doubling on the T's and Y's in LIBERTY for everyone of them. Likewise, nearly all have a doubled lower serif on the I of the Motto. These are series doubled since this Master Doubled Die was used for 1972 as well.

My experience with doubled die's is if you have look "real hard"........... then you don't have a doubled die.

Doubled dies come is different degrees of separation and even moderate separation is easily detectable even on worn coins.

As for all the 71D Doubled Die on eBay? 99% of them are machine doubled coins being hawked as double dies or doubled dies.

I'd say that you would have an extremely rare coin even if it had machine doubling if it was struck 941 years ago.

Chris

Late to the game but for the 1071D Kennedy, there is doubling on the T's and Y's in LIBERTY for everyone of them. Likewise, nearly all have a doubled lower serif on the I of the Motto. These are series doubled since this Master Doubled Die was used for 1972 as well.

My experience with doubled die's is if you have look "real hard"........... then you don't have a doubled die.

Doubled dies come is different degrees of separation and even moderate separation is easily detectable even on worn coins.

As for all the 71D Doubled Die on eBay? 99% of them are machine doubled coins being hawked as double dies or doubled dies.

I'd say that you would have an extremely rare coin even if it had machine doubling if it was struck 941 years ago.

Chris

No doubt a Nostradamus Half. :whistle:

Chris

No doubt a Nostradamus Half. :whistle:

Now, that would be a very interesting provenance! I can see it advertised on SleazeBay now.

Chris

Some replies are saying not all Kennedy's '71D are double dies...now your post says all of them are double dies....sigh...I guess that is why beginner collectors waste money for grading just to be sure...I am trying to avoid that pitfall...one thing for sure, it takes time to catch on...

Thanks for the info

Some replies are saying not all Kennedy's '71D are double dies...now your post says all of them are double dies....sigh...I guess that is why beginner collectors waste money for grading just to be sure...I am trying to avoid that pitfall...one thing for sure, it takes time to catch on...

Thanks for the info

I thought I clarified this earlier; all 1971-Ds show doubling, but not all are doubled dies. :flamed:

"All 1971-D Kennedy half dollar dies were produced using a Doubled Hub; thus all will show Hub Doubling, which CONECA describes as:

"Light spread on last 1 of date and Y of LIBERTY with rotation on I of IN, TRUST, and E and T of LIBERTY"

Additionally, there are two strong Doubled Dies known for the date, along with a handful of minor ones. All of these will show true die doubling in addition to the Doubled Hub details.

The Doubled Hub coins are worth no additional premium. It is the Doubled Die coins that are worth money, and only the two that are listed by the Cherrypicker's Guide are worth a substantial amount."

If siler melt value is in the thirty-three dollars range...how did you come up with the 11.71?

90% @ .36169

40% @ .1479

You should really get yourself a copy of the Red Book like I suggested earlier.

Chris

okay, I understand this much about junk silver. These coins are 90% silver and usually worn and can only be sold for silver value depending on the rarity of the coins. Correct? As a good rule of thumb, I check the grading criteria and if I cant grade a coin based on that...I consider it a junk coin. On the other hand there are some collectors that wants just the silver. Are these the coins that I should keep and sell for its silver content?. Thirdly...if I have 90% silver coins that are not worn, these are coins that will sell based on the date, mint mark, and grade. Correct?

now to the 40% silver coins, these are the ones also called junk silver due to the low amount of silver? If those coins are also worn should they be kept just for the silver content ( unless it's a rare coins or high grade for some other reason)? A coin in question would be the Kennedy 1971 coin, also 40% silver. Now we get to the 1971D with its double-die...these coins, disregarding the 40% silver, would be worth more than "junk silver" because of its double die?

I have these kennedy 1968 to 1971 kennedy coins and they just sitting her because I dont know what to do with them. It's too confusing to read all the sites on the internet, most of them differs.

I have 1916 buffalo nickel..it is so dark the date can be seen only using magnification; indian head pennies dark also..dont know if they will see and it would bost me a fortune to have ngc make them look better....

for photo...what is a good reasonable price digital camera to post photos?

Thank you

If the 60 to 70 coins are well worn/circulated, they are likely only worth melt value. These are called "junk silver" because their numismatic value is less than their silver content value (at today's silver prices anyway). I have a number of "junk silver" coins that are Peace Dollars, Walkers,and Morgans. The percentage content isn't what makes them "junk silver" it's more about the condition of the coin, rarity, and the price of silver on the market. If silver were to jump to $100 an ounce, a lot more of my coins would suddenly be come "junk silver". Conversely, if it dropped to $10 an ounce, some of those coins I am calling "junk silver" today, might be worth more than their silver content as a collectable. Is this making sense?

Others have already explained that after 1970, halves had no silver content. Unless you have some nice 1971 and later MS 64+ coins, I would suggest spending them at the grocery store.

Your question regarding a digital camera is likely to spur a whole thread of it's own. I would suggest you post that question as a new topic, but don't expect an easy answer. Digital cameras come up as topics here frequently. You might gain quite a bit of information by doing a search on "digital camera" and read previous post conversations.

Good luck.