• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OOOOOOOMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! posted by Eagles-R-it

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

THE DUMMY HAS LEARNED

Just got back from the bank to check my stuff. Shock is an understatement. I had used rubberbands to hold my stuff and lo an behold, I have to report horrible news. My silver ingots, some of which I had put in there less than a few months ago, TARNISHED!!! This is even tho they are "sealed" in the whatever they are sealed in when you get them from the BIG DEALERS. Some slabs, both gold and silver, also. I am sick.

Guess you live and learn. I have collected off and on since 1966, mainly a pocket change hunter until a few years ago when I got more adventurous about it. I never thought in my wildest dreams that rubberbands could do such damage.

It is crazy because I have Morgans right beside the other stuff and they are untouched. Well I guess anyway. Should probably change my name to Meathead.

Well you won't get out of here without my standard thanks for reading my journal and looking at mysets. And you can always see one of my newest.

12660.JPG

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

Thanks for your update. Sorry to hear that you had to get your answers to your rubber band question the hard way. I will go and check my ingots over the next few days to see their condition. I purchaced a bunch of them during 2012.

I will go, based on your guidance, and remove all rubber bands from my banded coins.

I hope you have a good Christmas season.

Semper Fi!

Jack

Hate to hear about the tarnishing!! I traded for a few silver coins that were perfect when my friend put them up but a year later started to spot with large white sloppy looking spots. I nearly gave them away at silver melt just to rid of them. If you are going to keep your coins there you may want to wrap a towel around them or place the slabs in a cardboard NGC grading box. The towel and or box will keep the humidity down that is penetrating into the slabs.

Later---Rick

Hate to hear about the tarnishing!! I traded for a few silver coins that were perfect when my friend put them up but a year later started to spot with large white sloppy looking spots. I nearly gave them away at silver melt just to rid of them. If you are going to keep your coins there you may want to wrap a towel around them or place the slabs in a cardboard NGC grading box. The towel and or box will keep the humidity down that is penetrating into the slabs.

Later---Rick

A towel is actually a BAD idea as it traps moisture and accelerates the process. I know of a hunting buddy who wrapped his rifle in a towel and it got all pitted and spotted about 6 months later.

Hmmm --- Scratch the towel. I guess I was trying to think of any way to keep the moisture out. I just remember the first time I saw those "Use To Be" NGC MS70 Milky Eagles.

A Terrible Sight!!!

Really sad to hear about your coins.

Rubber bands are often made of vulcanized rubber which means they contain sulfur. They break down over time and the sulfur is released. Sulfur + coins = tarnish. Add heat and moisture and it will happen faster.

What's really scary is that even if you're careful about what you put in your safe deposit box, your neighboring box holders may not be. Given any air flow between boxes and you could be the victim of cross box contamination!