• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on 1958-d Washington quarter

17 posts in this topic

Season's Greeting all.

While looking through my desk for stamps, (yes I still mail my bills and send out Christmas cards) I came across this 1958-d Washington quarter. I remember purchasing it, already toned, a few years back, but completely forgot about it. I decided I'd image it & post it. The toning is MUCH darker in hand, but what I found most interesting, were the cracks both on the obverse & reverse.The coin is uncirculated and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

As always, thanks for looking and Happy Holidays!! :)

tonedquarterobvwht-horz.jpg

1958dcrackobv.jpg

1958dcrackrev.jpg

I have two 1955 Washingtons that have the identical die crack across the head.Could it be the same die?

No chance. For one, the date is different....

On certain designs, cracks tend to happen in the same place over and over. This is a weak point in the design of the coin, and stresses tend to accumulate there when striking a coin. On the Franklin half, for example, it is very common to see a die crack along the base of his bust.

Thanks for the replies so far. There is a splotchy area on the eagle's left breast & one just below, on the upper leg. Now I've seen certified coins with this classic mint set toning where there are similar spots, but I was hesitant to send it in because of these breaks in the toning. The color progression looks right, but the spots had me scratching my head. Should I be worried?

I do not see any reason it would not certify. My question is what is such a coin worth?

Also what is going on with the mint mark? Variety,pic, machine doubling?

As far as what this coin might be worth, it all depends. Toners usually go for a premium, but it's not exactly what I would call "monster" toning. The mint mark appears to show some machine doubling

Filthyhoard,

I have a 1958 quarter that looks frighteningly similar to the one you posted. It is slabbed by pcgs. Based on that I'd say you don't have much to worry about.

Ryan

Hi Ryan. I'd like to see your quarter. If you can, please post a photo and welcome to the forum!!!

Filthyhoard,

I have a 1958 quarter that looks frighteningly similar to the one you posted. It is slabbed by pcgs. Based on that I'd say you don't have much to worry about.

Ryan

Hi Ryan. I'd like to see your quarter. If you can, please post a photo and welcome to the forum!!!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/t2ec16vhjhwe9n8iiic2bqn.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/t2ec16vhjiye9qucnkeibqn.jpg/

After looking again, they aren't as alike as I previously thought, but IMO the similarity is definitely there. Thanks for the warm welcome!

These are very common places for die cracks on silver WQs and are likely due to areas of increased stress during the minting process.

Nice looking Quarter. I took a look on Coneca's Master List when the question of Doubling on the Mint Mark was asked..........Is there a chance it's one of these?

Looks like the E and P in E Pluribus might have something going on.

You have at least a few of the markers for LDS - check stage C below.

1958-D - Coneca Master Listing

DDR-001

Designation: 1-R-II-C+VI

Description:

Light spread and medium extra thickness on UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, E PLURIBUS UNUM, both stems, and QUARTER DOLLAR

Population: 2

Markers: UVC-0913

DMR-003

Stage A: EDS (unconfirmed)

Stage B: MDS (unconfirmed)

Stage C:

Die crack RIBUS to wing under AMER of AMERICA – LDS

Die crack down eagle's Right (viewer's Left) wing

Die crack across eagle's head

Die crack across forehead and hair – LDS

Die crack across bust