• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First CAC Submission posted by hunter's gold

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Hoping for the green bean

Hi Everyone. Today, I sent my first submission to CAC to see if the few modern Lincoln Memorial business strike Lincolns that I have in my collection would make the cut. I sent in the following coins and they are all Lincoln Memorials: NGC MS67RD 1970S Large Date, PCGS MS66RD+ 1972 Double Die Obverse, NGC MS68RD 1983 Double Die Reverse, NGC MS68RD 1984 Double Ear and NGC MS69RD 1995 Double Die Obverse. I know there are a lot of different opinions about CAC certification both good and bad. My local coin dealer who I like and trust is not a big fan but he also stated that most coins that are worth sending into CAC that do make the grade bring a premium when sold. I have heard a lot of naysayers make the same statement. Therefore, I made the decision to give these 5 coins a try. If they do make the grade it will just add a little more value to them and for a $50 investment I can't complain about that. I had one more that was on their list but because I believe it is toned past the red designation I did not send it in. It was my NGC MS67RD 1970S small date. Here is a picture of the reverse of my 83ddr. The scratch is on the slab. You can view all of these coins in my 1958-Date Lincoln Memorial Registry set. As always, thanks for looking and Happy Collecting

12624.jpg

See more journals by hunter's gold

I'm starting to warm up to CAC, but still wouldn't go out of my way to find CAC acknowledged coins to add to any of my sets.

What I am intrigued about is the $50 price tag. So, it really only cost $10 a slab to submit them? I suppose you did this through your local dealer?

Overall, it may prove to be a smart move to solidify the value of these coins, most of which are top pop or near top pop gems.

Good luck!

Todd

Hi Todd, actually I am going through a fellow collector society member who has a membership. I tried contacting some local people who were on the list that could send them in and either they did not respond or wanted a fee which was too much for me. This fellow collector is doing it for no charge too me. Until the end of the month the coins in my particular tier are only $10 each plus the proper amount for return shipping which was $30. For a total of $80 invest. At the end of the year it goes up too $12.50 at this tier which is still not bad. Considering that the 5 coins I sent in all have a nice list price it can only add too it. Even if only 1 out of those 5 coins make the grade I still made out.

I've had three coins with CAC stickers that I sent for regrade to PCGS. After they came back same grade, I re-sent them to CAC and they didn't sticker. For one, my 1918D PCGS 64FB Mercury. Finest 4 I've ever seen (and I've see at least a dozen 18D in 4FB), a beast, 100% original, deep FSB, almost no marks, highly lusterous. Had a CAC sticker. Sent to PCGS for regrade (hoping to get a "+"). Stayed at 4FB, Resubmitted to CAC, no sticker. Only 2 other 18D in 4FB stickered by CAC. Seen them both. Neither was a legit Full Band coin. Wouldn't buy either with someone else's money, CAC is no guarantee that you're getting a high end coin. Don't know why people bother. For 10 bucks you can get a bottle of cheap wine. Best bet is to learn the series you collect well and buy what appeals to you. If you don't like a coin on the first look, keep walking, you'll never like it. For high priced coins, it's best to establish a relationhip with a top-notch numismatist who knows the series you collect and have him/her look at the coins and give you an opinion before you buy, For every $10 you pay him/her, you'll save $10,000 in heartache.

This message is directed to Franco12 because his last is full of incorrect information and false accusations.

Let me start with a few questions: You are obviously not a CAC member; so how did you submit your coins. What forms did you use? Did you call or message CAC for assistance? Did you explain your situation to CAC? Did you provide proof or documentation for your request? Did you even have a paper trail? The answer to these questions is obviously NO!

I have had several coins restickered and the process is simple. 1) When submitting the new slabs you must provide copies of your submission forms from either PCGS or NGC noting the original stickered slab numbers. 2) Copies of the invoice of the returned resubmitted coins with their new numbers. 3) Unless you make other arrangements with CAC you must submit the sticker request on the official forms and done through an approved CAC members account. 4) The submission must include payment.

If you had followed these simple steps your request would have been approved.

Also, the value of the "green bean" has been well established through extensive studies. Depending on the coin series the stickered coin will return 15% to 25% more than the same coin without the endorsment. Coin Week just published just such a study.

Franco12 welcome to the real world of numismatic trading on the internet!