• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple of mid 1950's D Mint toned Washingtons for my set.

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to put together a 1940 - 1964 toned set of Washingtons, predominantly in MS66. Here are a 1953-D and a 1955-D pair of Washies for the set. Both date/mm generally have ugly to muted toning, and IMO these two have far superior toning than the norm. The '53-D is raw with my best guess being it would 66. The '55-D is PCGS MS65. I bought it already slabbed. This is one of those cases where the toning, for the date/mm, outweighs the technical grade that I was looking for. Also, I'm personally a little surprised that it wasn't in a 66 holder, as I've seen lot's of other MS66 Washies that have far more nicks and dings on them than this coin, plus the fact that for a '55-D this is really nice toning. There is a ~ 6.5 times price differential between a 65 and a 66, so potentially that is why the coin got an MS65. In any case, I'm a happy camper with both coins.

sc1953D_WA.jpg

sc1953D_WArev.jpg

tv1955D_65WA.jpg

Both coins are far superior to most others for the dates. The 1953-D certainly looks to be an MS66 and I am a bit surprised the 1955-D is "only" an MS65. How is the luster in-hand?

Both coins are far superior to most others for the dates. The 1953-D certainly looks to be an MS66 and I am a bit surprised the 1955-D is "only" an MS65. How is the luster in-hand?

The luster is nice. It's definitely there underlying the toning.