• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 1c let me know what you think (GRADE REVEALED AT BOTTOM OF POST)

20 posts in this topic

I have had this coin for a while and it has always been difficult to shoot. I was playing around with my daughter's cheapo point and shoot and the pics came out very accurate. I will probably shoot a few others with it that have been difficult and see what happens.

The line you see in front of lincoln's nose and mouth is on the holder. The first two pics represent the coin very well. The last pic is direct undiffused light to help show the luster. Thanks.

1917obverse1.jpg

1917reverse1.jpg

1917obverse2.jpg

Yellow anacs 65BN

65 or better, I'd say 66 but brown coins can hide marks well and I don't have the coin in hand. It might even be worth a * as I think it's got some sweet eye appeal!

Is it normal for the toning to follow the woodgrain instead of the whole coin??

From what I've read the wood grain affect is caused by a less than perfect mixture of the copper and zinc cent allow which results in toning streaks that provide the grainy appearance. In this case the coin is pleasing, but I've seen this on other cents that was a detraction because it took away from the design elements.

Just goes to show you the TPG's don't know what they are doing.....Do they look at things like the census before they grade? If they do it would seem to cause them to be biased

Just goes to show you the TPG's don't know what they are doing.....Do they look at things like the census before they grade? If they do it would seem to cause them to be biased

It might show you that, but it certainly doesn't lead me to that conclusion.

And no, the grading companies don't make a habit of looking at the census before assigning grades. In the case of 1917 Lincoln Cents, while NGC hasn't graded any BN examples higher than MS65, they have graded more than 20 RB's and more than 20 RD's higher than 65. And in most cases RB and RD copper coins sell for more money than BN ones do. So it's not about a fear of creating low population/high value coins.

Odds are that the lack of luster and eye-appeal limit grades more often on BN copper than on RB and RD copper.

As a side note: PCGS has never graded a 1917 BN Lincoln above 65 (I don't think NGC has either). This one could be the first!

Well this is in a yellow anacs holder and is graded 65bn.

I did not know that there were none higher by the top two. I have always considered crossing it since I thought is was undergraded, but I am also afraid it may no grade do to the blue tones.

I wonder if there are no 66's since it is a low value common date which is not frequently submitted?

I have this and a raw buffalo nickel I would like to send to NGC I just wish I had 3 more so I could use a coupon. Maybe one day.

It might show you that, but it certainly doesn't lead me to that conclusion.

And no, the grading companies don't make a habit of looking at the census before assigning grades. In the case of 1917 Lincoln Cents, while NGC hasn't graded any BN examples higher than MS65, they have graded more than 20 RB's and more than 20 RD's higher than 65. And in most cases RB and RD copper coins sell for more money than BN ones do. So it's not about a fear of creating low population/high value coins.

Odds are that the lack of luster and eye-appeal limit grades more often on BN copper than on RB and RD copper.

I hadn't considered that it was a BN, thanks for your insight Mark