• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion's on this unique toned morgan from teletrade.

116 posts in this topic

I've never seen toning like that before - which automatically makes me suspicious. That is so far removed from anything I've seen that I would not buy it. To me, it is not market acceptable - and I don't care what PCGS says.

To be honest with you, I find it very hard to believe that it is NT. I'm wondering if it were cracked out and resubmitted to PCGS if it wouldn't come back AT.

Chris

It's certainly unusual looking, but it looks NT, all the way, to me.

Mark, what do you think could have possibly caused that unique toning pattern?

I like Nick's theory as a possibility: "I think it was and end roll coin but instead of the roll being folded at the end it was twisted closed."

Or perhaps it was otherwise exposed to paper or a ribbon?

If it was a twisted end roll, they why is the reverse also so darkly/deeply toned? Was it a roll of one coin!? :devil:

To be honest with you, I find it very hard to believe that it is NT. I'm wondering if it were cracked out and resubmitted to PCGS if it wouldn't come back AT.

Chris

I like Nick's theory as a possibility: "I think it was and end roll coin but instead of the roll being folded at the end it was twisted closed."

If it was a twisted end roll, they why is the reverse also so darkly/deeply toned? Was it a roll of one coin!? :devil:

Hmmm, Sherlock. Really, good catch there! (thumbs u

I do not care much for morgans, but I think this coin looks cool. AT or not it is in a top tpg holder and I have no doubts if it hits the market again it will go sky high again.

I would not pay the premium but many people pay much larger premiums for much less.

It would seem to me that since NOBODY has said they have ever seen one like it, that would be the best evidence that it is a natural. I love the appearance and if I was manufacturing toners, I would not stop at 1. I would also think that if a magnetic field had something to do with it, the coin would have to have some iron in it. This is all conjecture on my part however

Chris

Sorry, I hadn't seen the reverse at the time I posted that. Perhaps ribbon or paper from an album?

I think it is naturally toned. I think it was and end roll coin but instead of the roll being folded at the end it was twisted closed. So who knows maybe I will find the other end someday.

Nick

Nick, did you notice the determinations by the TPGs on the issue of whether tarnish on a coin is "NT" or "AT" are inconsistent over time? A good friend of mine from another forum showed me a very well-written lecture, there, somewhat recently, on what was referred to by the author as, "Appalachian toning," on that very issue. I don't see anything whatsoever wrong with this coin, outside of the fact, it's just not my tastes in tarnish. The most important thing to me is whether the surface is hurt by the tarnish, and this surface, from what these eyes can see, is all there. If you find another one like it, go after it, and don't worry about "NT," "AT," or anything anybody says. That's what I'd do. In fact, that's how I buy all my tarnished coins. FWIW...

Kurtdog,

I agree with you and the whole AT vs NT could go on forever. I just flat out love the coin and obviously so did a few other people. I have learned over the years to collect what I like. I mostly wanted to know if others had seen anything like this before, IMO it's very unique and most likley nothing else out there is anything like it. Unless of course some doctor made it, sure wish he would flood eBay with them because I would snatch one in a heartbeat.

Nick

It is interesting, but I don't know what to think of the toning pattern. While I can think of a possibility that may have caused natural toning, I can also think of a few methods that could artificially produce such an appearance. I am up in the air about whether it is AT or MA. The price is steep for me for a coin whose marketability (because of the AT v. MA concept) is questionable.

For whatever it is worth, however, I like the coin; I just don't think I would have bought it as "NT" and paid that hefty of a premium.

I think it is naturally toned. I think it was and end roll coin but instead of the roll being folded at the end it was twisted closed. So who knows maybe I will find the other end someday.

Nick

Nick, did you notice the determinations by the TPGs on the issue of whether tarnish on a coin is "NT" or "AT" are inconsistent over time? A good friend of mine from another forum showed me a very well-written lecture, there, somewhat recently, on what was referred to by the author as, "Appalachian toning," on that very issue. I don't see anything whatsoever wrong with this coin, outside of the fact, it's just not my tastes in tarnish. The most important thing to me is whether the surface is hurt by the tarnish, and this surface, from what these eyes can see, is all there. If you find another one like it, go after it, and don't worry about "NT," "AT," or anything anybody says. That's what I'd do. In fact, that's how I buy all my tarnished coins. FWIW...

Kurtdog,

I agree with you and the whole AT vs NT could go on forever. I just flat out love the coin and obviously so did a few other people. I have learned over the years to collect what I like. I mostly wanted to know if others had seen anything like this before, IMO it's very unique and most likley nothing else out there is anything like it. Unless of course some doctor made it, sure wish he would flood eBay with them because I would snatch one in a heartbeat.

Nick

Huh? Say again?

Lance.

As a collector of Appalachian Jefferson Nickels, I would be very interested in reading that lecture. Any chance you can PM or e-mail it to me?

Paul

As a collector of Appalachian Jefferson Nickels, I would be very interested in reading that lecture. Any chance you can PM or e-mail it to me?

You're the author, Paul. I just had a brain cramp and couldn't remember. Sorry about that!

Paul

I would love to see it too if you're willing to share.

Aesthetically I like how the obverse of the coin looks.

However, given how the coin looks on both the obverse and the reverse, IMO it's an AT coin. It appears to have had some sort of liquid poured on it or potentially some sort of aerosol. I don't care what PCGS says about the coin, I wouldn't touch it for any sort of a serious premium with a ten foot pole.

You're the author, Paul. I just had a brain cramp and couldn't remember. Sorry about that!

Was it my comments in this thead?

Fake Rainbow Toned Coins - Artificial Colors

Was it my comments in this thead?

Fake Rainbow Toned Coins - Artificial Colors

I don't think so. There are certainly a lot of pages in that thread. I went through the first several and I didn't recognize anything.

Let me just sum up what I remember. That's the forum, CoinTalk. What I read, you said in one reply. It was illustrated; several nickels, IIRC. It was rather long, too. The wash up I took from it was the TPGs can pull an about face on these at any given moment. In other words, they're not a model of consistency.

I love buying borderline AT coins that are graded.... I dont care how they got the toning....this coin however looks like a smurf took a on it....Not for me at all

The toning pattern still appears to me as the outcome of exposure to a strong magnetic field. Sure the silver and copper in Morgans are only negligibly influenced by magnetism. But remember it is atmospheric agents reacting with the coin surface that are responsible for toning, and over long periods of time, the right atmospheric components might have aligned themselves in accordance with a magnetic field.

If this was deliberate AT, many more coins with those characteristic magnetic field stripes will show up. If it was accidental AT, maybe nobody will remember how it happened. Either way it is absolutely AT.

The toning pattern still appears to me as the outcome of exposure to a strong magnetic field. Sure the silver and copper in Morgans are only negligibly influenced by magnetism. But remember it is atmospheric agents reacting with the coin surface that are responsible for toning, and over long periods of time, the right atmospheric components might have aligned themselves in accordance with a magnetic field.

If this was deliberate AT, many more coins with those characteristic magnetic field stripes will show up. If it was accidental AT, maybe nobody will remember how it happened. Either way it is absolutely AT.

I believe it is absurd to make the statement "Either way it is absolutely AT". You don't KNOW how the toning occurred. And even if you did, that wouldn't automatically render it "AT".

Firstly I agree with most others here the coin is drop-dead gorgeous :luhv: .

Secondly, the pattern of toning on the left side of the obverse is that of a magnetic field. If it were natural toning, it should be attributable to the natural magnetic field of the planet earth, by which birds and fish navigate their migrations. But if it's due to an artificial electromagnetic field of human manufacture, it's AT :preach: .

I believe it is absurd to make the statement "Either way it is absolutely AT". You don't KNOW how the toning occurred. And even if you did, that wouldn't automatically render it "AT".

Secondly, the pattern of toning on the left side of the obverse is that of a magnetic field.

Aerosols or gasses could also exhibit this kind of whispy striated effect. Just because it may look like a magnetic field pattern doesn't meant it is a magnetic field pattern.

Unless you personally cooked this coin, all of your hypotheses can never be tested and, thus, you can't possibly know anything for fact.

Firstly I agree with most others here the coin is drop-dead gorgeous :luhv: .

Secondly, the pattern of toning on the left side of the obverse is that of a magnetic field. If it were natural toning, it should be attributable to the natural magnetic field of the planet earth, by which birds and fish navigate their migrations. But if it's due to an artificial electromagnetic field of human manufacture, it's AT :preach: .

I guess the possibility that the coin was stored in an old wood/paper box is not valid, then.

That would mean that other pieces that exhibit this pattern that I had seen years ago were fake color.

Darn! I should have thought about that magnetic thing when I saw them.

I mean, everbody knows that wood is not magnetic.

Yep, logic wins-AT all the way......

I've seen a similar pattern before - it was from crinkled thin plastic wrap. It was on a half dollar I wrapped in "Saran Wrap" long ago to protect it. I've also seen this pattern on frozen hamburger....

I've seen a similar pattern before - it was from crinkled thin plastic wrap. It was on a half dollar I wrapped in "Saran Wrap" long ago to protect it. I've also seen this pattern on frozen hamburger....

Yeah but, when my hamburger tones, I throw it out

My local grocery waits until the hamburger has toned before they sell it....very festive at holiday time with the green meat and red blood.