• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What kind of problems can NCS help?

4 posts in this topic

I have read some of the other Q&A posts, and I understand that harsh cleaning and holes and rim filing etc. cannot be remedied by NCS, but what other types of problems can be handled besides the plain vanila "remove the toning" request? This question is prompted by a nice AU details/Net EF-40 Classic head half eagle I have in an ANACS holder. The reason for the net grade is that it was "sea salvaged." Is there anything that can be done for coins like this?

jtryka:

Thanks for the question.

"I have read some of the other Q&A posts, and I understand that harsh cleaning and holes and rim filing etc. cannot be remedied by NCS,"

--This is very true. These are all forms of damage that can not be addressed by conservation.

"but what other types of problems can be handled besides the plain vanila "remove the toning" request?"

--NCS is able to address a large number of problems. There are almost too many to list, but basically, most of our conservation efforts deal with the removal of foreign materials, residues and tarnish. Most submissions are to remove dirt or encrustation, carbon and copper spots, chemical or organic residues and tarnish.

"This question is prompted by a nice AU details/Net EF-40 Classic head half eagle I have in an ANACS holder. The reason for the net grade is that it was "sea salvaged." Is there anything that can be done for coins like this? "

--Without seeing the coin I really can't tell you too much about it. However, two things are worth mentioning. Sea Salvage suggests that the coin displays damage on the surfaces from being in the ocean or from harsh cleaning after its recovery. Neither of these issues can be address by conservation. A second consideration would be whether any residues or particles still remain on the coin that can become corrosive. This type of problem or potential problem is something that can be addressed by NCS.

I hope this information has been helpful. To see some of NCS's work, visit the gallery section of our website.

Regards,