• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What were your biggest purchases of 2012?

46 posts in this topic

2012 was truly a record year for my numismatically. I have managed to pick up some very nice coins for my type set, and also manage to get banned from the PCGS forum twice! lol

What did you pick up this year that stands out?

These two are my biggest for the year, and bigger than big coins of previous years. Gives me incentive to move some of the stuff that's just taking up space in my collection and/or get some more photo jobs.

07saint.jpg

rosa1p.jpg

I've had a busy year.....

It year started off with this piece courtosey of 900fine coins. A trade with the 25th anniversary ASE sets helped significantly. Any day I can turn modern coins to classic gold is a good day!

1800halfeagle.jpg

Towards the middle of the year, my go to dealer secured this piece for me. Thanks Jim!

1793wreath.jpg

And this one from a good friend.

1796quarter.jpg

And with the tail end, I was able to finish my Gold type set by securing this from Doug Winter.

1807qtreagle.jpg

A big thanks goes out to John Albanese for his continued guidance!

Ankur

A great thread of some truly great coins listed so far!

2012 has been a tumultuous and challenging time for me on both a career and personal level. My "purchases" have really been "trades" as I've sold coins in my collection and applied those dollars for coins that I wanted more. In retrospect, I'm happy with what I've done and feel that I've strengthened my collection. Here are my top 3 for the year (presented in the order of acquisition):

From Chris McCawley (PCGS AU58 BN CAC):

594096d7.jpg 

From Tom Bush (PCGS MS65 CAC):

3abc3192.jpg

From RYK/Dirty Gold Man (PCGS AU58 CAC): 1_zps0b3824c7.jpg

1912SaintObvRevSmall.jpg

1828HalfCent.jpg

My No 3 biggest purchase still on the route.

And on eBay I have 2 important snipes set up for this weekend. If I win them both, they will be my most important purchases of the year!

This is an outstanding thread for a number of reasons. I have made some great purchases this year. My two favorite would have to be:

This 1818 $5, ex-Bass, purchased from Legend, after the FUN show:

20962924.jpg

This PTS, from CRO:

1652-cc7.jpg1652-cc7r.jpg

A scarce 42-D QE from the Goldberg Sale of the Helem collection, via Doug Winter:

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

And this replacement for my misplaced Columbian half, from my boyhood collection, purchased from TomB:

Image%202.jpg

Image%204.jpg

My biggest ticket purchase of the year coin wise is an 1858-S gold $1 in PCGS/CAC AU58. I haven't had it imaged yet, so instead I'll post a picture of my second most expensive coin purchase of the year, an 1858-O $10 in NGC/CAC AU50.

bc1858-O_AU50-7smThis.jpg

bc1858-O_AU50r11smThis.jpg

As far as collectibles in general go, my most expensive purchase, roughly 5X the cost of the 1858-S $1, was the Apollo Command Module Lock (ex: Guenter Wendt). To the best of my knowledge it was the only piece used on EVERY Apollo Command Module. Basically it was a hard lock that kept the astronauts from accidentally flipping the switches to the Emergency Launch Escape Rocket on the top of the Saturn V. The lock was the last item the Commander of the given mission (e.g. Neil Armstrong etc.) would have handled before the hatch was closed. The Commander would detach it from the instrument panel, hand it through the hatch, and then the hatch would be closed. Here are pictures of where it would go, and it with a quarter for scale.

ApolloCMLockPicSm.jpg

CMLock2ThisSm.jpg

Very nice 1815 PhysicsFan! Was that from Heritage?

Yes (link here). It is listed in his NGC registry sets.

Jason, fantastic 1815 Bustie.

Yup, bought it from them. In hand, you can tell the surfaces are perfectly original and it spent some time in a paper envelope - there is gorgeous toning on both sides. I'm extremely proud of this one. A lot of the 1815's weren't treated very well.