• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can NCS do for Early coinage?

2 posts in this topic

First let me say that I am not fully aware of all the possible conservations techniques available, so this may be a dumb question. On early coins, what specifically can NCS do to conserve them? This question arises since I just saw a nice AU-50 1837 Bust half in an NGC holder, but the reverse had some really ugly splotchy toning, but the rest of the coin appears to have some nice original toning (as original as you can get given how many bust coins have been cleaned through the years). What would NCS do in this case? Also, if you clean a coin like this, or even a lower graded coin, such as a VF or XF specimen, wouldn't that cleaning be blatent and obvious since it's almost impossible to have a naturally white coin in such a circulated condition? Thanks for looking at my question!

Thanks the interesting questions.

"On early coins, what specifically can NCS do to conserve them?"

---Each type of coin, be it modern, early, US or World, silver, copper, nickel or gold, presents their own special conservation issues. As such, many of these different types of coins may be prone to different problems, and we may use different procedures to conserve them. All conservation is done on a case by case basis as treatments vary by type of problem and severity. This is why we place so much emphasis on the evaluation process. Eventhough problems may look the same the treatment that is most effective in removing them may be different.

"This question arises since I just saw a nice AU-50 1837 Bust half in an NGC holder, but the reverse had some really ugly splotchy toning, but the rest of the coin appears to have some nice original toning (as original as you can get given how many bust coins have been cleaned through the years). What would NCS do in this case?"

---"Splotchy toning is often the result of mishandling or the coin having been dipped but not neutralized. It is quite common and it some cases can be address through conservation depending on its severity. Here again, we would need to see the coin to say so with any certainty.

"Also, if you clean a coin like this, or even a lower graded coin, such as a VF or XF specimen, wouldn't that cleaning be blatent and obvious since it's almost impossible to have a naturally white coin in such a circulated condition?"

--Not necessarily. Keep in mind that NCS has developed techniques that allow us to address many problems and preserve the coin's original surface in the process. Our goal is to remove the problem and reveal the coin's original surfaces that are obscured underneath. This applies to coins up in the MS grades and all the way down the scale. It has been my experience that, collectors and dealers will treat MS coins the same way as circulated coins--"dip 'em." This is why you see blast white and dingy grey circulated coins that "just don't look quite right" and you know they have been cleaned even though hairlines may not be visible. We have, on the other hand, developed alternative techniques those commonly used and can conserve coins like this, without stripping down their original surfaces and producing an unnatural appearance. This is one of our goals as conservators--remove the problem and protect the original integrity of the coin (be it a MS68 or a VG8).

Regards,