• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on 'reholdering' and CAC...

34 posts in this topic

Hello,

I would appreciate some quick advice to this question (and I am sure I can unfortunately guess the answer); but I am hoping there is a way around this.

If one wants to reholder a coin that is CAC stickered; can one do it without losing the CAC certfification? If anyone knows the answer please let me know. I would hate to lose the CAC certification just by reholdering a coin. That being said, if there was a way to resubmit the coin to CAC and get it restickered after the reholder process, that would be great. Is this possible or am I subject to losing the original CAC certification?

I thank you for your help!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I asked David Lange about reholdering CAC coins. He said that NGC keeps the same label and serial number, so if one chooses they can get it sent back on their own to CAC and get it rebeaned. CAC keeps a record of every coin they bean and those they do not.

Best, HT

If the coin receives a new cert number it would seem you would have to submit it again to CAC. If, however, the coin receives the old cert number again then CAC may, at their discretion, put a new sticker on the holder for a reduced fee, if any fee at all. Your best strategy would be to speak directly with CAC about the issue.

It is my understanding that CAC re-evaluates all coins sent in whether or not previously stickered, and it may or may not re-bean.

I have removed the CAC sticker before having a coin reholdered (with the same cert#) and reapplied it.

Many collectors think the sticker cannot be removed intact and without damage. It can be, if done very carefully.

You will likely scratch the old holder in the process, but that doesn't matter because it is to be reholdered.

Lance.

I have removed the CAC sticker before having a coin reholdered (with the same cert#) and reapplied it.

Many collectors think the sticker cannot be removed intact and without damage. It can be, if done very carefully.

You will likely scratch the old holder in the process, but that doesn't matter because it is to be reholdered.

Lance.

hmmm, very interesting I would think this greatly affects the credibility of a stickered slab.

Nick

Lance.

hmmm, very interesting I would think this greatly affects the credibility of a stickered slab.

Nick

Good point, also the possibility of a coin that didn't meet CAC's standards and gets slipped a sticker from another slab possibly cracked or reholdered. hm

Lance.

Nick

It's easy enough to verify the legitimacy on CAC's site. But I'll bet few collectors do, unless they are suspicious.

I was a little surprised the sticker didn't shred, like price stickers on merchandise. But I was glad to save the S/I and resticker fee.

Lance.

If you will send in the old holder with the new and $3 CAC will resticker

wheat

One problem. When you reholder, you normally do not get the old holder back.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I asked this same question to them a few months ago. Take a scan of the coin clearly showing the serial number and the sticker (even though the serial number will stay the same, they still wanted this for some reason), and resubmit the coin with the scan after reholdering. There will be a small restickering fee, which is cheaper than the current $10 or $12.50 (as it stands for most coins depending on whether you submit individually or through a dealer). The last time I checked, I think the restickering fee was $3.

Maybe it's not such a good idea to say more about sticker removal.

And let's not talk about cracking holders either.

Lance.

a7c6718a.jpg5d736943.jpg

I would never do this for deceit and I hope no one else would. Sure, CAC will resticker it for a small fee. After shipping and insurance both ways, though, it isn't cheap.

Lance.

Wishful thinking there. I guarantee people will peel gold stickers off of common date coins that don't have much price increase between grades and slap it on one that has a huge price jump. This is sad to hear.

Nick

If you simply reholder a coin with the same cert number, there is no problem getting a new CAC sticker placed on the new holder. No problem at all. Nothing to worry about. No questions asked. Just do it.

If you simply reholder a coin with the same cert number, there is no problem getting a new CAC sticker placed on the new holder. No problem at all. Nothing to worry about. No questions asked. Just do it.

Have you done this or are you just be facetious? I am just wondering before I try this. Also, if one has never submitted to CAC before, how can I get the coins restickered in the first place? Are they allowing new submissions for this? I thought new submitters were closed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks again!

'mint'

Have you done this or are you just be facetious? I am just wondering before I try this. Also, if one has never submitted to CAC before, how can I get the coins restickered in the first place? Are they allowing new submissions for this? I thought new submitters were closed?

Thanks again!

'mint'

I have often sent to CAC for re-beans. Never had a problem. All CAC needs to do is look up the Cert number to see that the coin previously earned the sticker.

You need to have someone who is either a CAC dealer or Collector member send your coins in for re-bean. CAC is not accepting new members at this time, but you can email them and ask to be on the list of collectors wanting to become CAC Collectors.

Thanks again!

'mint'

I have often sent to CAC for re-beans. Never had a problem. All CAC needs to do is look up the Cert number to see that the coin previously earned the sticker.

You need to have someone who is either a CAC dealer or Collector member send your coins in for re-bean. CAC is not accepting new members at this time, but you can email them and ask to be on the list of collectors wanting to become CAC Collectors.

Thanks again for this advice. I will contact them in this regard.

I appreciate the info and help.

'mint'

Thanks again!

'mint'

'mint'

I should have been clearer. By sending in the old with the new and $3, I meant just the label which is returned with thecoin.

wheat

Thanks again!

'mint'

'mint'

I should have been clearer. By sending in the old with the new and $3, I meant just the label which is returned with thecoin.

wheat

What label are you referring to? When you reholder the original label (meaning the grading company label) is NOT returned. What am I missing here? Could you clarify? I thank you again for your help!

Respectfully,

'mint'

Thanks again!

'mint'

'mint'

wheat

What label are you referring to? When you reholder the original label (meaning the grading company label) is NOT returned. What am I missing here? Could you clarify? I thank you again for your help!

Respectfully,

'mint'

All mine( the labels) have been, i don't understand why yours wern't

wheat

Too bad the grading services don't have a contract with CAC to reapply their stickers when cert. number stays the same. My postage costs are killing me.

BTW, I bought a high end $20 Lib with a CAC sticker on it that was worth trying for an upgrade. The PNG dealer I bought it from said if I cracked it out and came back the same grade he could save the trouble and reapply the current CAC sticker! I would never have the hubris to do that with a new cert. number and and old CAC sticker.