• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about problem coin labels.

7 posts in this topic

So I have a couple coins I have been dealing with and I will lay out the specifics but first my question, If a coin has more than one problem do all the problems get labeled? Or just the most evident problem?

So I have a 1826 CBH and a 1944 WLH both are toned.

sent to NGC. results.

1826 CBH XF DETAILS "Rev. Improperly Cleaned"

I showed it to several dealer's and most agreed with me and couldn't see a cleaning. So I cracked it and sent it to PCGS

PCGS results

1826 CBH XF DETAILS "questionable Color"

similair situation with the walker

NGC results

1944 WLH UNC DETAILS "Improperly Cleaned"

PCGS results

1944 WLH AU DETAILS "Artificial Toning"

So do you think both TPG's saw both alleged issues and only labeled what they felt most warranted a no grade?

I have some very crappy pictures i will try and dig up but I don't think they will be of much use.

Thanks, Nick

If there is a scanner at your public library I have found this a good option for imaging the coin and posting here, plus scanner/copiers have come way down in price if you have need of one often.

My understanding is the graders will flag the most significant issue; so if it is cleaned, damaged, pvc-affected, etc., they will state the most problematic issue not all.

Certainly, not all of the problems are necessarily mentioned.

And I have seen some examples in which it appeared that the most significant problem wasn't noted.

Lastly, keep in mind that sometimes the determination of a no grade (due to factors such as cleaning, color, etc.) can be just as subjective and inconsistent as the decision regarding what numerical grade to assign to a coin.

Certainly, not all of the problems are necessarily mentioned.

And I have seen some examples in which it appeared that the most significant problem wasn't noted.

Lastly, keep in mind that sometimes the determination of a no grade (due to factors such as cleaning, color, etc.) can be just as subjective and inconsistent as the decision regarding what numerical grade to assign to a coin.

Thanks for the reply Mark. I agree about the inconsistency, that's why I decided to give PCGS a shot. I will crack them once again and just enjoy them in an album, because I do like them both with or without the stamp of approval.

Nick

sent to NGC. results. 1826 CBH XF DETAILS "Rev. Improperly Cleaned"

I showed it to several dealer's and most agreed with me and couldn't see a cleaning. So I cracked it and sent it to PCGS

PCGS results 1826 CBH XF DETAILS "questionable Color"

This doesn't surprise me. The coin could have been cleaned, but not show hairlines. The color is just off to the point you know something is wrong. NGC decided to call it cleaned because of the color while PCGS just nailed it for the color without listing what likely caused it.

sent to NGC. results. 1826 CBH XF DETAILS "Rev. Improperly Cleaned"

PCGS results 1826 CBH XF DETAILS "questionable Color"

This doesn't surprise me. The coin could have been cleaned, but not show hairlines. The color is just off to the point you know something is wrong. NGC decided to call it cleaned because of the color while PCGS just nailed it for the color without listing what likely caused it.

I know I haven't posted a picture, but both sides of the coin are toned the same and I would normally agree with your statement but what throws me is NGC only specified the reverse as improperly cleaned so I don't think they felt the color was the cause of an improper cleaning.

Nick