• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Verdigris

11 posts in this topic

I purchased a group of raw coins that included a raw 1851 Large Cent, It is crusty, has a couple spots of green verdigris on it, otherwise it is dark brown all over. Parts of it look like something grew into the parts that should have been recessed. I'm assuming corrosion. Is there anything I can do to make it look better without completely killing it. there were also some buffalo nickels with out dates of course, WTF are you supposed to do with those? Thanks in advance

There is a product called Verdi-Care that, used properly, will go a long way towards stopping futher corrosive action. You should use low value test coins to pratice using it properly. Just google that product or look on eBay. The inventor is a chemist as well as a collector.

Soak them in virgin olive oil for a few months.

I read that mineral oil works just as well without worrying about the oil turning rancid like olive oil.

I never did see this Perry. I had an FEC in a jar of olive oil for about 6-7 months. I never smelled anything bad. Seemed like it was when I bought it. (shrug)

Soak them in virgin olive oil for a few months.

I read that mineral oil works just as well without worrying about the oil turning rancid like olive oil.

I never did see this Perry. I had an FEC in a jar of olive oil for about 6-7 months. I never smelled anything bad. Seemed like it was when I bought it. (shrug)

I read this a few times on various threads both here and ATS. Since I don't collect copper I have no hands on experience with soaking copper to remove verdigris.

I have had a cup of olive oil soaking coins for almost 5 years and it has not turned rancid. I have put probably 150 coppers in there in that time. I wouldn't use it for a salad dressing :insane: