• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reducing research access to auction photos

8 posts in this topic

As noted by a sharp-eyed poster to the PCGS boards, Stacks-Bowers has removed photos from some of its past auctions. I checked the Americana sale for 2011 and found just text and red Xs. [http://legacy.stacks.com/Auction/Archive]

Maybe this is temporary or possibly a response to copyright violations, but it certainly reduces the ability of collectors to examine a large sample of auctioned coins and related items. This especially impacts variety collectors and those who research odd-ball items.

Maybe the change is temporary – I hope so.

When it comes to research, the Stacks - Bowers site can't hold a candle to the Heritage site. The Stacks' photos are better (at least the later ones are), but the site is not easy to navigate, at least from my "old guy - computer semi literate" point of view.

Bill,

I agree on the difficulty of finding info in the Stacks-Bowers archives. But they have a lot of ANR and older Stack's material that is available in no other place.

When it comes to research, the Stacks - Bowers site can't hold a candle to the Heritage site. Their photos are better (at least the later ones are), but the site is not easy to navigate, at least from my "old guy - computer semi literate" point of view.

I don't think it is you. I consider myself computer literate (having taken several classes including advanced computer programming), and the Stacks-Bowers site is a pain for me to navigate as well.

I think they switched them all over to the StacksBowers website - eventually companys close their website if they are not using that website anymore.

new merged website

Is there a specific lot you are looking for, or just a general person_without_enough_empathy?

edit to add that they seem to change the 5 letter female dog word :(

This is also on the list of multiple Stack's sites.

http://prior.stacks.com/

I wasn't looking for anything specific right now, but who knows about the future. Many others might want historical auction info, and cannot find it.