• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions/Concern about an ebay seller.

31 posts in this topic

The seller is "Theconsignmenthub"

Link

They say in the listing titles that their coins are high grade. In the descriptions it says the coins possibly have been cleaned. The sellers FB shows many negative FBs regarding cleaned and polished coins.

Many of the negative FBs are left from buyers who bought multiple coins.

My questions to members here:

- Do you think the sellers descriptions are misleading or are those buyers not knowledgable?

- Do the coins (like the one in the link) look polished or cleaned or is that a result from the scanner?

- Do you think the buyers who left multiple negative FBs just got unlucky with receiving all polished or cleaned coins?

I've never bought from this seller, but I am just confused as to if the seller is being misleading or if they buyers who left neg FB didn't read the whole listing and they are mad.

-Dave

The linked coin looks cleaned, and certainly not what I'd refer to as "high grade". If multiple buyers have left negatve feedback about cleaned coins, I'd believe them over the claims of the seller.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you'd even ask.

The linked coin looks cleaned, and certainly not what I'd refer to as "high grade". If multiple buyers have left negatve feedback about cleaned coins, I'd believe them over the claims of the seller.

I can see why you are surprised. The seller has more pos.FBs than negative FBs and I didn't want to make a post that would jump the gun about the seller and their performance. I wanted a couple other opinions about it as well as to see if any members ever bought from this seller.

I know the coin in the linked listing look really polished, and that is the main reason I never even looked at the entire listings from this seller. I just moved on down the page.

There are two things I can't understand when it comes to ebay coin sellers:

1- sellers who purposely polish and clean coins to make them look nicerprior to selling.

2- sellers who ask rediculous prices for coins that they Artifically Toned. IMHO, coins are not paintings.

-Dave

Seller says this is a high-grade coin. Seller also says a "high grade" is in the upper 20% of the population that exists for that coin. Photo clearly shows a coin that is not in the upper 20% of the population. That's misrepresentation.

Run. Fast.

Seller says this is a high-grade coin. Seller also says a "high grade" is in the upper 20% of the population that exists for that coin. Photo clearly shows a coin that is not in the upper 20% of the population. That's misrepresentation.

Run. Fast.

(tsk) Some sellers and their practices are unreal.

I will run as fast as I can hit "Backspace" and Internet Explorer can load the previous eBay listing page! :whee:

-Dave

Look at the 1918/17 buffalo, I can't tell for sure from the photo, but I don't think that one is right.

wheat

Can you post the link??

What do you mean its not right? Counterfeit???

-Dave

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1918-7-d-Buffalo-Nickel-Error-Date-VG-/370686026104?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item564e9be178

Based on the feedback for this seller it looks like he intentionally cleans his circulated coins- scary-stay away!

Come on, we have no idea whether he "intentionally cleans" the coins or buys them that way and then sells them.

Looks to be a Genuine Error 18/17. I dont know this seller but I do recall a CT member soliciting consignments under that seller name awhile back.

I have seen several and owned a couple, the 7 on this one just does not look right, but I can,t tell for sune from the photo.

wheat

Looks to be a Genuine Error 18/17. I dont know this seller but I do recall a CT member soliciting consignments under that seller name awhile back.

I have seen several and owned a couple, the 7 on this one just does not look right, but I can,t tell for sune from the photo.

wheat

It looks OK to me, from what I can see.

+1

wheat

It looks OK to me, from what I can see.

looks authentic to me, but also has some corrosion, a couple obverse small scratches, and counting wheel damage on reverse on AMERICA

I do not think I will ever buy a $1000 raw coin not in a slab (at least haven't yet), unless I can get it for under a couple hundred....

all the negatives and poor packaging should be a tip off not to deal with this guy. i think mark feld has a valid point. jmo

+1

Alot of the Neg FB shows how rude and bad the seller is.

His shipping charges are rediculous and obviously he cheated a bunch of buyers by making them pay excess shipping.

"terrible shipping 12 items in an envolope???charge 19.50 to ship cost 5,99??????" -brainc7408

:facepalm:

I ship 20 coins cut from mint packages in a First Class Mail bubble mailer for $5.50. I also don't know of any legit sellers who overcharge shipping by as much as ConsignmentHub.

-Dave

I would caution about making huge dollar purchases as this without having a comfortable feeling of the sellers practices and reputation.. Not only that, it's uncertified. I would definitely pass on this seller's offerings.

I would caution about making huge dollar purchases as this without having a comfortable feeling of the sellers practices and reputation.. Not only that, it's uncertified. I would definitely pass on this seller's offerings.

+1

Save your money and the headache. IMO, there are probably nicer graded 1918/7 Buffalo Nickels for around the same price.

-Dave

I can't fathom why you started this thread. It seems as if you not only should have known, but also did know, to stay way from such sellers, before you even started it.

Uncertified coins are problems in most cases. Auctions that permit the sale of uncertified or coins is questionable slabs are doing the collectors no favors.

I was at a shop the other day where several almost complete Morgan dollar collections had come in. And I know the dealer who was more or less buying the collections does not submit coins for grading unless he must. I get my coins graded before selling at auction because it gives the customer a lot more confidence and recourse than otherwise.

Ebay has far too many ads offering oversold coins:

"MS69 EISENHOWER. POPULATION 23 AT THIS LEVEL!!! EXTREMELY RARE AND UNDERVALUED!!! GLOW IN THE DARK EYE APPEAL AND MIRRORS! A COIN EVEN YOUR WIFE WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH EVEN IF SHE HATES COINS!!! BARGAIN PRICE: $2999!!!"

Uncertified coins are problems in most cases. Auctions that permit the sale of uncertified or coins is questionable slabs are doing the collectors no favors.

I was at a shop the other day where several almost complete Morgan dollar collections had come in. And I know the dealer who was more or less buying the collections does not submit coins for grading unless he must. I get my coins graded before selling at auction because it gives the customer a lot more confidence and recourse than otherwise.

Ebay has far too many ads offering oversold coins:

"MS69 EISENHOWER. POPULATION 23 AT THIS LEVEL!!! EXTREMELY RARE AND UNDERVALUED!!! GLOW IN THE DARK EYE APPEAL AND MIRRORS! A COIN EVEN YOUR WIFE WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH EVEN IF SHE HATES COINS!!! BARGAIN PRICE: $2999!!!"

While I largely agree with you, I think even buying certified coins on eBay is a mine field. EBay is full of overgraded coins taken with questionable photography practices to make the coins appear much better than their true quality. While there are also high end and eye appealing coins on eBay, I would venture to say that 85+% consists of bottom feeder material. The other 15% still translates into a decent number of coins, but all buyers, and particularly novices, should be careful in avoiding the 85+%.

I can't fathom why you started this thread. It seems as if you not only should have known, but also did know, to stay way from such sellers, before you even started it.

While my intent to why I started this thread is not of issue, I simply wanted to see what other members here would have to say. It was a topic of conversation, nothing more, nothing less.

I know to stay away from sellers who have quesitonable listings/concerning FB, but I felt that this was a good thread to post on the board and worthy of other members inputs, thoughts, and opinions.

-Dave

Cleaned and damaged coins continue to plague the market. Personally, I don't know how sellers of these coins as "high end" or gradable or good deals live with themselves, they reap what they sow ultimately. I would like to see the regulators address these scams but they won't. Only lawsuits would cause them to mend their ways.

Here is a coin I recently sold on ebay, a relatively rare coin at that grade level:

http://i.imgur.com/JqvAi.jpg

Sale price: $375; net profit minimal. At least I sleep well.

My best guess Mark, is that the OP wants to show that he can be judicious and thoughtful before trashing a particular seller. There were earlier threads that called question to the OP's judgment, and perhaps he would like to attempt to repair his reputation.

Regardless, I agree with you that this thread was basically pointless.

No offense intended towards you CoinPulsive.

My best guess Mark, is that the OP wants to show that he can be judicious and thoughtful before trashing a particular seller. There were earlier threads that called question to the OP's judgment, and perhaps he would like to attempt to repair his reputation.

Regardless, I agree with you that this thread was basically pointless.

No offense intended towards you CoinPulsive.

No offense taken. This thread obviously wasn't pointless, seeing as several members contributed their thoughts to it. That is what I was aiming for; other members opinions and how they view sellers such as the one I referenced here.

Also, which earlier thread are you talking about? I honestly have no repairing to do as far as I am concerned. Most of the "issues" arose from someone who mis-interperted what I said and then others followed him. If you are talking about the thread I think you are talking about, I was on the defensive from a member who honestly, is a dimbwhit tightwad who thinks that he can judge a person and then state what problems they have, by reading one (1) thread on the internet.

Oh and to anyone who believes that I am making horrible/false accusations, I can send you my "proof" of what a fool that person was/is.

Again, no offense taken. I am impartial as much as I can be. Sometimes some people just don't understand anything and they jump to conclusions which, result in conflicts that they refuse to correct when they are shown they are wrong.

-Dave

I know in the past some have taken issue with Dave and his outspoken manner, but is there a point to dredging it up? What's done is done and we seem to have a kinder gentler Dave. I don't get it. I have had many good conversations with Dave and consider him a friend. I think we should let bygones be bygones and move forward; not dwell in the past.