• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Major Michigan show right after Thanksgiving

31 posts in this topic

It's almost time for the biggest and best annual Michigan show, but please note it's no longer in Dearborn but at a new location, in Warren, a northern suburb of Detroit, on the campus of Macomb Community College:

MSNS at MCC

more info so you don't miss out on the always tremendous show:

MSNS at MCC2

it is a great show. Elbow to elbow. MJ

Since its no longer at the Hyatt we will no longer be able to have our ritual two hour talk over a $3.50 sprite and $12.00 tuna sandwich...... :(

I live in GR and you couldn't pay me to go to the hell hole that is detroit for any reason.

The good news for you is that the show isn't in Detroit. I lived in Grand Rapids for awhile. Lot's and lot's of sketchy places there as well. I don't need to point them out to you. There are also obviously some great spots.

While I don't live there, I like Detroit a lot. I've spent most of my life living in DT Seattle, NYC and Brooklyn.

I currently live in a city that is routinely ranked in the top 25 nationally for safety and has made top 25 lists for best city in America to live in. It is also in the top 5 of most boring cities in my opinion. Pick your poison. That's why I like playing in Detroit every once in awhile.

Your perception or comment about Detroit are probably in the majority so that is not lost on me. I just don't share them.

MJ

I've lived in Chicago, New York, Portland, Seattle, and none of them are holes like Detroit. My firm is having a holiday party at the Tiger's stadium, and I refuse to go, as nothing about that place is in any way appealing to me. If the MSNS in their infinite wisdom ever decides to hold a show on the west side of the state I'll be there, but I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen...

I've lived in Chicago, New York, Portland, Seattle, and none of them are holes like Detroit. My firm is having a holiday party at the Tiger's stadium, and I refuse to go, as nothing about that place is in any way appealing to me. If the MSNS in their infinite wisdom ever decides to hold a show on the west side of the state I'll be there, but I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen...

Tiger Stadium has been torn down for quite awhile so I don't blame you for not wanting to go to your companies holiday party. It will be very cold.

Regardless, the Michigan Show is nowhere near downtown Detroit.

Ok, I'm done with the Chamber of Commerce stuff.

MJ

Tiger Stadium has been torn down for quite awhile so I don't blame you for not wanting to go to your companies holiday party. It will be very cold.

Regardless, the Michigan Show is nowhere near downtown Detroit.

Ok, I'm done with the Chamber of Commerce stuff.

MJ

insufficiently_thoughtful_person, can you try to read what I type? I didn't say "Tigers Stadium" I said at the Tiger's (note the posessive as in belonging to the tiger) stadium, I don't know the name of the mess hole where they play, so I used a generic term. Yeah, I know they tore down the old Tigers Stadium a few years ago, it's just a real shame they stopped at the stadium, since they rest of that hell hole should have been torn down as well, from Lansing to the lake leveled would be fine with me.

Your anger is well noted. I was actually just playing on the holiday party thing. I knew what you meant.

MJ

Your anger is well noted. I was actually just playing on the holiday party thing. I knew what you meant.

MJ

Thank you for acknowledging that, I'll presume this means you'll stop me off now...

MJ

Thank you for acknowledging that, I'll presume this means you'll stop me off now...

Trust me I want nothing to do with you. MJ

For anyone newly reading this thread, and considering coming to the show, the new location is very safe, safer than the area around many other shows, and the surroundings and atmosphere are very pleasant, plus virtually everybody inside the show is polite, helpful and friendly, and you are almost guaranteed to have a completely positive experience.

Just please ignore any of those unjustified negative comments from persons not attending the show, and whose attitude is opposite to the hard-working and dedicated numismatists who have made the MSNS one of the absolute best.

For anyone newly reading this thread, and considering coming to the show, the new location is very safe, safer than the area around many other shows, and the surroundings and atmosphere are very pleasant, plus virtually everybody inside the show is polite, helpful and friendly, and you are almost guaranteed to have a completely positive experience.

Just please ignore any of those unjustified negative comments from persons not attending the show, and whose attitude is opposite to the hard-working and dedicated numismatists who have made the MSNS one of the absolute best.

The show will be awesome. It always is. MJ

I too will be attending. As a candidate for the Board of MSNS, and an outstate resident, an MSNS show other than the metro Detroit area could be a great member recruitment tool. The larger population center and logic dictate at least one annual MSNS show in the greater Detroit area in my mind. Past experience in outstate shows for MSNS have been less than optimum due to lack of attendance.

This will be my first attempt at exhibiting as well, so I am very much looking forward to that experience. ( look for the two cent exhibit)

Just got home from the MSNS show, packed elbow-to-elbow as correctly predicted by MJ. Dealers I spoke with were mostly thrilled with their sales volume, and the new venue seemed to be fine, except for the speed bumps in the aisles. To accommodate power lines for lighting at the booths, electric lines with hard protective covers were run across the floors of the walkways, constituting a serious hazard to foot traffic. I myself saw a couple people trip and fall, and had to catch myself a few times while distracted by coin watching, despite a warning sign posted at the head of each aisle. A different booth arrangement is absolutely necessary to avoid that problem if the show is held again in the same spot, perhaps with aisles perpendicular to the current setup.

I checked out the exhibit by our PennyGuy, announced in this thread, a super display of 2-cent pieces titled something like "My Two Cents Worth," and even tried finding him on the floor, in order to congratulate him first hand, and tell him something else of a personal nature, but he apparently wasn't around, according to someone who claimed the ability to recognize him. Judges' verdict please.

Venue sucked.... hope they get the Hyatt back.... Dealers had nothing really worth mentioning of toners..... Dealers had a extremley tight grip on thier wallets ...... Was nice meeting Todd and had a pleasant transaction with one of his buddies.... Also grabbed a decent MS68FB Merc....was horrible watching elderly dealers bust there heads on there showcases after tripping on the bazillion plastic speed bumps.

Sorry I missed you Delta, would have like to meet you. The results are in, I had quite a weekend. My exhibit won it's class as First Time Exhibitor-Adult, as well as Best Of Show. To say I was shocked is a vast understatement.

dimefreak, It will be interesting to see where the next shows will be held. The Hyatt will not come back. Because it isn't there anymore. A new company has the franchise for that building, is seems unlikely they will enlarge the space, so MSNS can decide to stay with this venue, another similar sized venue, or go back to the old building and cut back on dealers and number of tables available per dealer, as well as loose over half of the space they had this show for exhibits.