• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newps: a pair of European silver crown-sized coins

10 posts in this topic

The first coin has a popular city view motif, from Frankfurt and dated 1772. A common coin found nice, this piece is lightly satiny and lightly PL. It has light champagne toning and quite pleasing to behold. It has been graded MS64 by a reputable TPG, and I find it solid for the grade. The image is from the dealer, but I adjusted the contrast and brightness a bit to make it more faithful to the coin. Dav-2226.

1024.jpg

The second coin is much more of a 'wow' specimen. From the Republic of Venice, 1789, this coin has very nice frosty luster and good detail. Overall, the coin only has a dusting of toning with areas of deeper gold patina. The hay marks on the Doge's cheek is much less visible in hand. This coin is graded MS64 by a reputable TPG. The image is from the dealer. Dav-1575.

[i actually negotiated on this coin at the Philadelphia ANA in August, but finally paid it off just before this recent Baltimore show. Picking up this piece made going to the show almost worth it for me.]

Ludovico Manin was the final Doge of Venice, elected in 1789 and forced to abdicate by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1797. He died in Venice in 1802 of natural causes.

1024.jpg

Beautiful pieces.

You probably could have picked up some first strike Sacagaweas for the same price, though. :insane:

Thanks.

As for the Sacs, no way. I don't do light-side anymore. Besides, I think GregM is putting together a set in 63 and having a tough time.

Beautiful pieces.

You probably could have picked up some first strike Sacagaweas for the same price, though. :insane:

Thanks.

As for the Sacs, no way. I don't do light-side anymore. Besides, I think GregM is putting together a set in 63 and having a tough time.

I'd have a harder time putting a set together in AU as I don't think they have ever circulated.

As for your coins, the Tallero is nice, but I notice that the lion's lips aren't fully split - making this an inferior coin. I will gladly pay you wholesale for it. (thumbs u

Greg - I'd be happy to give you a split lip when I see you in January. Do you want it with your wife present so she can see you cry like a child?

As an aside, don't you think the Venetian tallero would go well with my new daalder in 63 from Utrecht? :applause:

EVP

Beautiful pieces.

Thanks.

I'd have a harder time putting a set together in AU as I don't think they have ever circulated.

As for your coins, the Tallero is nice, but I notice that the lion's lips aren't fully split - making this an inferior coin. I will gladly pay you wholesale for it. (thumbs u

FSL Lions are tough. Maybe you should have bought a First Strike tallero.

I have a 2010-P Great Law of Peace dollar in EF40 maybe I can get slabbed as a pop 1 coin.

Greg - I'd be happy to give you a split lip when I see you in January. Do you want it with your wife present so she can see you cry like a child?

As an aside, don't you think the Venetian tallero would go well with my new daalder in 63 from Utrecht? :applause:

EVP

What an angry young old man you are. :(

The Lion Daaler has not yet arrived, but I will be sure to let you know taunt you when it does.

Mr. Mar-ugly,

Why so disrespectful? I'm sending you a check for half of that Utrecht. We can take turns holding onto it. And no Solomon-esque counter proposals please...

EVP

PS Bring the Utrecht to NYINC.