• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

auction help! Can't decide!

20 posts in this topic

What are the selling fees/consignment fees for:

Heritage

stacks bowers

Teletrade

Great Collections?

any other auction houses you recommend?

There are just so many great auctions......

He asked for the selling fees.

They vary depending on the auction house, the size and value of the consignment, the importance of the coins, and how good a negotiator you are.

The fees can differ greatly, depending upon the auction house, the type of coins, the value of the coins, whether the coins are being sold at no reserve, and the negotiating knowledge and skill of the consignor.

As one example, some consignors get excited if they are quoted a zero % seller's commission, because they mistakenly think they aren't paying anything. But even in those cases, the auction house is usually making between 10% and 17 1/2% buyer's premium. A consignor who knows what to request and has some leverage can sometimes get more than 100% of hammer, occasionally quite a bit more.

Heritage

stacks bowers

Teletrade

Great Collections?

Not that you know me, or have any reason to trust my opinion, which is usually useless, but (blah,blah) you might consider speaking directly with Mark concerning the disposal of your numismatic items.

Saves a lot of hassle and guessing and hand wringing and the after auction "...why didn't I (insert word/phrase...)" self-chiding speech.

Oh, and please don't blame me if it goes South.

He asked for the selling fees.

They vary depending on the auction house, the size and value of the consignment, the importance of the coins, and how good a negotiator you are.

My bad....apparently I should limit my responses to earlier in the evening before my brain goes to sleep but my fingers are still awake.

And if the deal goes Northwest, I can assure you it will get wet. I live there...its what it does here...any given day it is either raining, has rained, or is getting ready to rain.

Maybe post what you have for sale either to mark feld or tomB and see if they want to buy any and make you an offer.

if they don't want it, try and sell it here. Anything remaining send to GreatCollections or Teletrade

you should also consider

- net to you (high fees with high sale price usually better than low fees low sales price)

- how soon you want/need the money

- whether you want to sell with reserve and expect less than half to sell

-type/value of coins you have (big show auctions or small show dealers)

Heritage

stacks bowers

Teletrade

Great Collections?

Not that you know me, or have any reason to trust my opinion, which is usually useless, but (blah,blah) you might consider speaking directly with Mark concerning the disposal of your numismatic items.

Saves a lot of hassle and guessing and hand wringing and the after auction "...why didn't I (insert word/phrase...)" self-chiding speech.

Oh, and please don't blame me if it goes South.

Just in case you were wondering who "Mark" is, he posts under the screen name MarkFeld. :)

What is the value of the coins you want to sell? This may automatically put some auction houses out the running.

I did sell through GC once. I was very pleased and at least then over $1k there was no sellers fee.

I should add that the coin I was selling was not valued enough to consign to heritage, but they did make me a very strong offer to buy outright.

GC charges 0% seller fees for coins sold for $1,000+, and just 5% for coins $1-$1,000.

(from their website)

Low seller fees don't always work in your favor - If the buyer's fee is too high, buyers will bid lower, because they are calculating their final price including the BP.

Well, ummm, mine of course :) !

Our BUYER's fee is still 15% and shall remain so (the big boys are at 17.5%).

Our SELLER's fee varies, but is seldom over 5%, and usually is only 3% for typical nice consignments.

PM me if you'd like to learn more.