• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Indian Will Still Not Cooperate! (big photos)

23 posts in this topic

Do you have a coin that just does not photograph well? Well, I do! I have a screaming Indian cent that drips blood red luster that cannot be captured after many worthwhile attempts by 2 pros.

Here's the professional photo:

791c_zps8b78c360.jpg

Here's my pitiful attempt via my iPhone to convey the missing luster (sorry, photobucket is resisting my attempts to resize the last two pics):

IMG_0512_zpse5d7991b.jpgIMG_0508_zps5f7907d9.jpgIMG_0509_zpsdd42c8ae.jpg

Do you have a coin that is really tough to photograph? Show it here....

I love this coin, which is why I wanted to include it in my 2013 calendar. Part of the issue is post-processing without the coin in hand. I have to guess if it was brighter, darker, more or less vivid than what I see on my screen when working on it. There's a pretty wide range of adjustments that I can make without pushing the photo out of the range of being realistic.

Another thing that makes photographing lustrous, fully colored coins difficult is that if you want to capture all the color, you have to sacrifice the luster, since you can't tilt the picture. Stereograms would allow you to do a better job at keeping both attributes.

I like that coin...except for the spots on the face. Are they less distracting in hand?

jom

Not an issue on such a small coin! It really is a stunning piece.

No malice intended. Simply trying to be a little humorous which failed miserably with you. My apologies. I have removed the offending language.

No malice intended. Simply trying to be a little humorous which failed miserably with you. My apologies. I have removed the offending language.

No worries Cat. Very stand up of you to change the wording.

Nick

agrred very cool and i will add killer monster eye appeal indian head cent and a choice unc to boot usually they are proofs that look this way

a truly rare coin that transends the holder its in :cloud9:

Interesting how the color shows better on the photo shots in your hand as opposed to the professional close ups. Kind of weird in that way.... Very beautiful coin in any event.

BTW, I missed apparently the "Injun" comment. Personally, I think there are much better things in life to worry about and take offence at. Also just my opinion, but being of Native decent, working for a Native owned firm, and working on Native land should lend some creedance to it. I appreciate the consideration, but personally, I worry less about someone using that term on a coin than I do the guy who cuts me off in traffic and then flips me off for good measure.

Nice IHC, I would love a shot at shooting that piece.

Who took the photo? Outstanding job with the imaging!

John Baumgart (messydesk). It has also been to Todd Pollock. Both great coin photographers!