• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The dow is down 300--post a coin you lost money on!

34 posts in this topic

I am having a very sad day :(

Ditto! :(

One of the two major services, I forget which one, would not grade this 1814 large cent. I lost several hundred dollars on it when I blew it off at one of the last FUN where I rented a booth.

1814LargeCentO.jpg1814LargeCentR.jpg

One of the two major services, I forget which one, would not grade this 1814 large cent. I lost several hundred dollars on it when I blew it off at one of the last FUN where I rented a booth.

Bill,

That's a great looking coin - why wasn't it graded ?

The dow is down 300--post a coin you lost money on!

Lack of bandwidth prohibits me from posting! :D

That and embarrassment! :insane:

But believe me, I'm a collector and it was fun! :grin:

Political comments no matter how well obscured under the guise of a financial market reaction are not an appropriate use of this forum. Just my humble opinion.

More to the point, exactly how do you determine the loss or gain in the value of a coin after 1 day of trading on the stock exchange?

I eagerly await enlightened responses to help me understand the relationship between a 1 day stock index price shift and the value of any coin.

Carl

Political comments no matter how well obscured under the guise of a financial market reaction are not an appropriate use of this forum. Just my humble opinion.

More to the point, exactly how do you determine the loss or gain in the value of a coin after 1 day of trading on the stock exchange?

I eagerly await enlightened responses to help me understand the relationship between a 1 day stock index price shift and the value of any coin.

Carl

There is absolutely NO correlation between the one day price shift of the stock market and the coin market----absolutely NONE. They have historically (many times but not always) been inversely related (if you do your research you will see this)----when the stock market has tanked the coin market has done very well---more often than not.

In the last five years I have only lost money on TWO coins and I was just BEGGING for it. They were VERY short term flips and I was hasty, greedy, impatient and bought stuff that I KNEW to be bad. In my bravado, I felt that I could sell it later and, if not even make a profit, at least get my money back. I believed this, since I had done so well with coins, up until this point, so I felt 'bullet-proof' so to speak and I basically sabotaged myself. That was beyond stupidity (stupidity is more of an excuse, in that type of scenario, b/c you don't really know any better). I KNEW better but I just failed to use my knowledge and my common sense due to pure impatience and downright GREED. I also failed to listen to the experienced folks around me, as well.

Lately, I have done wonderfully, b/c I am choosing to use my experience much more to my benefit. Making much better choices but more importantly exercising more patience and more common sense. What good is your knowledge, when you choose to ignore it for an impulse buy that gives you a short term boost? NONE! Recently, I bought a rare coin for 1100 LESS than the SAME EXACT coin sold for in 2005 and I recently purchased a SUPER rare near gem for literally ONE HALF of what a VERY inferior piece sold for just three years ago in 2009. I made out like a bandit and YES they were the SAME grade and graded by the SAME TPGS.

Coins have been good to me and, in the LONG RUN, I suspect they will be even BETTER----FANTASTIC. JMHO.

Not sure what I was thinking with this one. Lost about $600, but was thrilled to move it and use the cash elsewhere.

11jaoeb.jpga4u4vb.jpg

This coin was an MS64 until Chuck Norris took it down to the sev and bought a slurpee with it and this is what the clerk was left with.

Nick

Carl

I you wish to be censor I'd suggest that you volunteer to become an official one like they have ATS.

Carl

I you wish to be censor I'd suggest that you volunteer to become an official one like they have ATS.

Bill, an opinion is not censorship. Care to comment as to the relationship between a positive or negative shift in stock indexes and the gain or loss in the value of a coin?

I am of the opinion that there is no direct relationship. I am not aware of any study that connects short term market trends/values in various rare and collectible coins with short term fluctuations in the financial markets.

Carl

Oh my, now I'm having my head examined.

I don't know. You're the psychoanalyst, you tell me what I think.

You boxed yourself into that rhetorical corner with your assumptions. Analyze that.

Read your first sentence. That looks like gentle censorship to me. You are telling the writer that what he wrote was not appropriate here.

Read the second sentence.

Carl

Oh my, now I'm having my head examined.

No, just stating an opinion from my reading of your post.

I don't know. You're the psychoanalyst, you tell me what I think.

I don't know what you or anyone else thinks. My interpretation of your post was that you were connecting the down tick of the stock market with a loss in the value of rare/collectible coins.

You boxed yourself into that rhetorical corner with your assumptions. Analyze that.

No, but it appears that I did not understand where you were going with your post. See if this comes close to your intent.

The stock market tanked----post some coins you lost money on at any time in your collecting history.

Carl

Bill,

That's a great looking coin - why wasn't it graded ?

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

It got flagged for "questionable color." I've seen many early copper coin in slabs that I knew darn well had "questionable color" and worse. Some guys who know how to grade Morgan Dollars think they are experts in early copper because they can grade silver dollars. They don't know early copper at all.

That Crosslet-4 appears to be MS, Bill, but the surface dynamic appears to be somewhat shot. This is what I don't get, though. They'd have graded that had it instead been environmentally-damaged. Go figure.

Carl

I'll take a shot at the last paragraph. People are people, with many different opinions. Sort of why the Stock Market is still a viable business.

Not to mention the name itself has something in common with that place involved with selling and buying and sometimes killing the Herd, where ideas change and are fickle at the drop of the hat (and imagine how the cattle feel)

Not that I am implying anything at all.....