• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some days it is really cool to be a coin dealer.

14 posts in this topic

So last Thursday a guy brings me some gold coins. He is driving a bit so sends me a photo via email first. I then call him telling him he has what seems like a few nice coins worth a bit more than melt or bullion as some would say. So he comes in with 4 2 1/2 Dollar pieces and a 10 dollar piece. The 10 is bullion. He has 2 2 1/2 pieces that are also bullion. Then he has a nicer looking 1853 piece. Pretty cool piece, and worth a slightly more than bullion. I paid him better for that coin. His last piece is a 1911 D 2 1/2 Indian! I was shocked at first and then a bit nervous due to the amount of fakes out there. So I pull out the counterfeit detection guide. It passes all the test and has all the die markers. Then came down to the price. I asked him what he wanted for the coin. We agreed on a price that we were both happy with it. I had the coin for all of about 2 hours before it sold. I did take a few photos that I wish to share with you.

XF Bid is 3150 AU is 3900 or so.

11d2.JPG

11d21.JPG

11d22.jpg

11d23.jpg

Enjoy the photos. I enjoyed buying the coin, owning it for a bit then selling it. He said he has some more rare gold coins, so I will keep you all posted.

What did you pay him? Did you tell him it was a rare date, its value, etc?

He knew it was a rare date. I paid him well and he thought he got a fair shake, knowing I need to make some money. At the time melt was $207 and he got way way over that. He got paid for the rare date and agreed upon grade.

ok good! I was scared that perhaps he agreed on melt and you took advantage of that.....

There is no way I could ever sleep doing that. I am a pretty stand up guy when it comes to buying and selling. Sure I like a good deal, but I like it fair for both sides.

Keep it up Brucewar, we need more honest dealers like yourself! I'm so glad to be part of a forum were we have many good dealers (Feld, TomB, etc!)

(thumbs u Nice job, Bruce!!!