• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So when you do good at the TPG how do you feel? (Warning slight spam)

8 posts in this topic

So awhile back my co worker bought a 1903 McKinley Commem. He did not know the grade when he bought the coin. I quickly looked at the coin and just said wow, this looks nice. It could be as high as MS 65. So I priced it at PCGS MS 65 guide levels, until we could get it sent off. It someone wanted to pay 2K for it I would sell it. Well Submitted it to PCGS at the ANA, and just got the grade back. PCGS Agrees it is nice. They said it was MS 66. Super score if you ask me. My Boss was surely happy. I have a feeling this one is going into the store collection.

Feels good to get one right for once ;) or better than I thought.

I don't know---I never submit or buy any raw early Walkers.

If they are not already in slabs-----there's usually a very good reason for it, especially coins in excess of $1000.

If they are not already in slabs-----there's usually a very good reason for it, especially coins in excess of $1000.

I find this statement not to be true. Sure sometimes it is, but many times there are tons of coins never submitted before or cracked out by people like me for a set. I have sent only a handful of coins to the TPG's and done well with most all of them, but I rarely send in.

I find this statement not to be true. Sure sometimes it is, but many times there are tons of coins never submitted before or cracked out by people like me for a set. I have sent only a handful of coins to the TPG's and done well with most all of them, but I rarely send in.

He's just quoting somebody; right here .

Right now anyway, most of the nicest world (non-USA) coins are not in slabs. I realize you're likely referring to only USA coins in your sentiment.

He's just quoting somebody; right here .

That's sharp----but it IS mostly a true statement (I agree with Willis), IMO, at least with walkers dating BEFORE 1934 and ESPECIALLY MS coins. There are PLENTY of raw ones that may grade from 1934-1947----I'll agree with you there.

So awhile back my co worker bought a 1903 McKinley Commem. He did not know the grade when he bought the coin. I quickly looked at the coin and just said wow, this looks nice. It could be as high as MS 65. So I priced it at PCGS MS 65 guide levels, until we could get it sent off. It someone wanted to pay 2K for it I would sell it. Well Submitted it to PCGS at the ANA, and just got the grade back. PCGS Agrees it is nice. They said it was MS 66. Super score if you ask me. My Boss was surely happy. I have a feeling this one is going into the store collection.

So, how did he buy it if he didn't know the grade? Did he just pay someone melt for it? He would have had to have some clue on grading it to value it unless just paying melt, right?

So, how did he buy it if he didn't know the grade? Did he just pay someone melt for it? He would have had to have some clue on grading it to value it unless just paying melt, right?

He paid a few grades back to protect himself. He was being careful like any business person would be. Turns out one worked in our favor. I should also add he is not clueless about coins and grading.