• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MEMORABLE COIN SHOW MOMENT posted by Wissahickon Collection

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A Walter Breen Encounter

I was reading the PCGS coin forum, and ran accross a thread entitled, OUTSIDE THE ROPES Coin Show Moment. That started me thinking (always a dangerous thing).

I recalled attending a show sometime in the late 1970/ early 1980 time period. And I do not recall the exact location; either Cincinnati, Philadelphia, or New York. My memory is really vague on both time and location.

I got in a hotel elvator to go to the show site, and as the door was closing, a very large man with an unusual appearance stepped through the doors. His attire was buckskin-like clothing and a large leather shoulder bag. His hair was long including a long bushy beard.

I knew who he was immediately from pictures. We didn't speak, but I spent our upward journey looking at him while trying to appear not to be looking at him.

My first and only Walter Breen encounter!

See more journals by Wissahickon Collection

Interesting story. From what I read on the internet it sounds like Breen was an accomplished collector and author but a pretty poor excuse for a human being.