• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Faulty PCGS Holder??? #2 posted by j_hallett

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Makes you wonder.....

About 2 years ago I purchased a lot of PCGS MS64 graded morgan silver dollars. I just put them into the safe and didnt think much about them until recently when I though I would sell some because the price is up. I looked at one and that the PCGS case sqeaked when you twisted it from side to side. As I twisted it the back poped off and exposed the coin inside. I immediately thought it was a fake but the date on the morgan was a 1883-0 and I thought why would someone fake slad a common date morgan. So I recently submitted it to NGC and it came back a MS64 grade. After further examination this is a 100% PCGS Holder. Once I get some good pictures I will post them, but I guess my questions is has anyone had this kind of trouble with PCGS holder?

Here is a picture of the faulty PCGS slab and the coin that came out of it, after being resubmitted to NGC.

It really makes you wonder how many pcgs holders this has happened to and someone else put a different coin in it.

Just makes you wonder....

12347.jpg

See more journals by j_hallett

this is not exclusive to PCGS--I've had NGC and ANACS slabs do this also.

My biggest slab issues with PCGS are coins rotating in the slab--rattlers of course but even sometimes with newer issues.

My biggest issue with NGC is mislabeled coins--maybe 10 to 12 times in the past 5 or 6 years of submissions ( also I have found eyelashes, hair and lint in slabs).

My biggest issues with ANACS has been the cheapness of the last 2 gens of slabs--the blue ones with the sloped label holder and the yellow/gold label slabs. ( not to mention the decrease in respected grading in the past 5 to 6 years). The smaller white ones, the green writing ones, blue writing ones with white background and plastic ANACS slabs with the ANA logo are usually solidly graded and well slabbed coins.

PS: are you sure that was a legit PCGS slab? There is no hologram logo or sticker on the back and also the ring and label are older gen so it seems strange that a slab with such a defect would take so many years to break apart?

PPS: something else is odd...the PCGS logo that is molded into the plastic is usually on the obverse plate ie- the same side of the slab as the outward facing label.

Your photo has the PCGS molded logo on what I presume would be the lower R corner of the reverse--that's not correct (Unless you accidentally placed the label on the reverse plate for the picture)...

They use 'sonic sealers' to weld the plastic together

sometimes they forget or do a bad job, and they fall apart

There are some manufacturing companies in CHINA that would be interested in your pieces

My biggest issue with NGC is mislabeled coins--maybe 10 to 12 times in the past 5 or 6 years of submissions ( also I have found eyelashes, hair and lint in slabs).

I've seen this too, it's quite annoying but I imagine there will be a few mistakes among the 1000's of coins being slabbed. Another thing is the label falling out due to losing adhesion.

As far as PCGS holders, I don't buy any coins in them anymore. I don't know what kind of materials they use but every proof coin, gold or silver, tarnishes in PCGS holders. This is especially true with PCGS silver eagles. I've seen some with nasty crud INSIDE, kinda looked like cob webbs. That was enough to make my certified purchases exclusively NGC.