• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 SLQ

37 posts in this topic

She's in an NGC holder (as you can see).

What would you give her.......I'll post what NGC gave her after we get a few responses.

Scratch on the reverse bugs me.

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

Thanks

I don’t know much about SLQ’s but if I had to take a stab I would say XF-details cleaned? There also appears to be some kind of green substance on the obv. Above the “B” .

You're being way too harsh. The coin does not look cleaned and has no claims to (a grade as low as) XF.

I'm thinking probably a very weak strike?

Are the photos lacking sufficient detail?

Any additional comments on this piece would be greatly appreciated.

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

Thanks

I'm thinking probably a very weak strike?

Are the photos lacking sufficient detail?

Any additional comments on this piece would be greatly appreciated.

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

Thanks

The strike appears typical, not weak. Perhaps if we were to see the coin in hand, as opposed to judging from the large images, some of us might grade it differently.

From the original photo it looks like the coin had enough high point rub to give the coin less than an MS grade.Strike looks typical for that date . Based on the smaller photos I would have guesses it was MS .

From the original photo it looks like the coin had enough high point rub to give the coin less than an MS grade.Strike looks typical for that date . Based on the smaller photos I would have guesses it was MS .

In the future, should I use smaller photos in this forum? I used large pics because I thought it would show better detail.

In the future, should I use smaller photos in this forum? I used large pics because I thought it would show better detail.

Big pictures are better for grading .

Judging from the pics, there is definitely wear evident. My opinion may change in hand, but I doubt it.

Is this a result of my pics being larger and more detailed than what the graders at NGC use in determining grades?

I understand wear is wear but, if they're using significantly less magnification to grade our coins......are we over grading by judging coins from these huge images?

Judging from the pics, there is definitely wear evident. My opinion may change in hand, but I doubt it.

Is this a result of my pics being larger and more detailed than what the graders at NGC use in determining grades?

I understand wear is wear but, if they're using significantly less magnification to grade our coins......are we over grading by judging coins from these huge images?

No, wear is wear. If it is there, it should be evident no matter what magnification. Three options then exist:

1. The pictures are deceiving and there is actually no wear.

2. The graders missed the signs of wear.

3. The graders saw the wear, considered it cabinet friction, and market graded the coin to an MS-62 grade because they liked the coin and thought it was worth more than just AU.

All three of these possibilities I consider to be equally likely - again, based solely on your pictures.

I don’t know much about SLQ’s but if I had to take a stab I would say XF-details cleaned? There also appears to be some kind of green substance on the obv. Above the “B” .

You're being way too harsh. The coin does not look cleaned and has no claims to (a grade as low as) XF.

That makes sense looking at the pictures a little closer, my initial thought was AU. My train of thought changed when I took a closer look at the hit on the reverse and the hit on the knee which made me think that it would grade an XF.

That makes sense looking at the pictures a little closer, my initial thought was AU. My train of thought changed when I took a closer look at the hit on the reverse and the hit on the knee which made me think that it would grade an XF.

In the case of coins graded less than MS60 in particular, hits rarely affect a grade to that extent.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have guessed lower than AU 58. I'd have to see it in hand to say if there is any rub, as I simply cannot tell from those images. It could easily be a MS 62. IMHO.

No, wear is wear. If it is there, it should be evident no matter what magnification. Three options then exist:

1. The pictures are deceiving and there is actually no wear.

2. The graders missed the signs of wear.

3. The graders saw the wear, considered it cabinet friction, and market graded the coin to an MS-62 grade because they liked the coin and thought it was worth more than just AU.

All three of these possibilities I consider to be equally likely - again, based solely on your pictures.

Well, I had some time to sit down and take a good look at this coin........ There is wear.

I'm guessing option 3 from physics-fan's reply seems very likely. The coin looks quite nice in hand and I could see it being "liked" enough to receive a little extra consideration above the AU grade.

In light of these details I'm going to send it back - I'm only going to buy 1 SLQ ( yeah right!) and I want it to be a nice one. Next stop.......Money Marketplace!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Just curious, where do you see wear, the only thing i noticed was lack of mail which I assumed to be weak strike, the leg looks wear free as does the shield, I'm still learning, this is just my opinion

My opinion is not the best to be had, but I see the discoloration on the ear, breast, and leg on the obverse. On the reverse the eagles thigh and upper left wing.

Discoloration on the high spots is not necessarily wear - but could easily be on original planchet not fully struck

My opinion is not the best to be had, but I see the discoloration on the ear, breast, and leg on the obverse. On the reverse the eagles thigh and upper left wing.

So if I understand you correctly, where the skin is a different color, you are seeing wear. I didn't even consider that, thanks