• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete Charlotte Gold Collection in Capital Plastic-style Holder...

25 posts in this topic

Nice collection. Too bad it will be broken up, stuck in individual "graded" holders and sold off for high dollar. Yet, that gives many an opportunity to enjoy at least a small part of the set. I wonder what the 1849-C dollar looks like.

Nice collection. Too bad it will be broken up, stuck in individual "graded" holders and sold off for high dollar. Yet, that gives many an opportunity to enjoy at least a small part of the set. I wonder what the 1849-C dollar looks like.

Why is it too bad? No matter how dedicated a collector might be, when it comes time to sell, it makes sense to do so in a way that will bring the highest price.

And, as you noted, breaking a set up, allows other collectors an opportunity to make acquisitions for their collections.

Why is it too bad?

Because there are forms of appreciation and value that transcend dollars.

I agree with that. But what are the practical choices in that regard, other than the highly unlikely event of finding a buyer for the set, intact?

Why is it too bad?

Because there are forms of appreciation and value that transcend dollars.

So your saying individual slabs are not a form of "appreciation and value"? They are sitting in plastic either way. Not to mention the set has been sitting in a bank vault since 1970, it really hasn't had much appreciation.

Sometimes I wonder if dinosaurs are really extinct.

I think they should be taken out of that capitol holder and carried around in someones pocket or change purse.

Nick

"Practical choices" depend on the owner's concepts.

nk1nk - the comments about appreciation and value did not have $$ attached to them. Try re-reading from a non-monetary perspective.

I agree with RWB...but even with the $$ attached it is too bad that these coins will end up in TPG holders instead of in that Cap plastic. I just think that is so cool to look at....but over time you'll see that less and less. And, yes, it's too bad.

jom

If this set is seen as an Important Collection, as opposed to, say, a complete set of slider war nickels in a 40+ year old Capital Plastics holder, it deserves to be documented as such for posterity if it's not going to be sold intact. The combination of pedigrees on TPG plastic, set registries, and good photos can ensure this set lives on after it has been dispersed. There is currently only one complete set ATS for Charlotte Gold Basic Set, Circulation Strikes. This, if registered, would be the second. Maybe it would rank #1, maybe not, but the pedigree would follow the coins, and pictures in the registry would make it possible to track them through future collections.

Keeping it in the Capital holder for sale would be doing a disservice to the consignor, despite the incredible coolness factor it has as such.

Good marketing could greatly increase the ROI for the owner. The very best photos can only be made before the coins are slabbed. Likewise, a Charlotte gold expert might discover things hidden by future plastic.

I am interested in what grades you get - I am assuming you submitted them all.

I will be really curious if any come back questionable authenticity.

The owner had to hold quite a few years if this was purchased in the late 70's during the gold run-up.

I really like some of the custom Capital Plastics holders I have seen, such as this one.

It would be a great pleasure to see the entire set. Obviously, no way to tell the conditions of the individual coins in the photograph,still what an incredible set. I'd just love to see the set as presented.

Keep us informed as to whether you are able to present this set in Baltimore.

Carl

That is pretty neat. My concern would be authenticity.

Would be really cool if a TPG would have a holder like this with their grades on each coin.