• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1936 Gettysburg grade revealed in original post

19 posts in this topic

welchgettysburg.jpg

The disagreement is my friend feels he should have known better than to send the coin in and I feel that if the coin is cleaned it is very deceptive. Of course if the coin graded I am sure he would never second guess it.

I am glad Bill posted his pic and used the term cloudy. I was trying to find a descriptive word for the luster. I was going to say satin but cloudy is good. I can find no hairlines under 10x magnification and while the luster does not cartwheel there is definately plenty of it. Dipped was the only thing I could think of.

It should be known I do not collect white coins and I have just recenty begin to purchase silver coins so my experience is quite limited. I wish you could all see it in hand. Still a nice coin in my opinion. Thanks for the comments.

A friend brought some coins over and since we are having a disagreement I thought the guessing game might solve it.

DSCN6385-1.jpg

DSCN6500-1.jpg

DSCN6388-1.jpg

DSCN6501-1.jpg

My guess is lower at MS-64, maybe MS-65, if you are lucky. The luster seems to be a bit cloudy to me, probably from dipping, and there are some small marks. The marks would be consistent with an MS-65, but the less than perfect luster would take it lower.

Here is an MS-64 graded piece that is in my collection. I agree totally with the grade.

GettyO.jpgGettyR.jpg

My guess is lower at MS-64, maybe MS-65, if you are lucky. The luster seems to be a bit cloudy to me, probably from dipping, and there are some small marks. The marks would be consistent with an MS-65, but the less than perfect luster would take it lower.

Here is an MS-64 graded piece that is in my collection. I agree totally with the grade.

GettyO.jpgGettyR.jpg

Based on the images, I would have guessed MS66 on that one, as well.

If Bill's is MS64 then I would guess no higher than MS64, maybe even MS63 but this is just throwing darts at the wall guessing.

I'll guess 64.

Both soldiers have hits on the face and the hit on the brim of the Confederate soldiers hat stands out a bit.

Shields on reverse have some hits as well.....a few rim dings

I'll guess 64.

Both soldiers have hits on the face and the hit on the brim of the Confederate soldiers hat stands out a bit.

Regardless of what the assigned grade ends up being, the marks you mentioned are quite small. Especially considering that we are viewing enlarged images. I have seen many MS66 and MS67 examples with similar sized/numbered marks.

I'll guess 64.

Regardless of what the assigned grade ends up being, the marks you mentioned are quite small. Especially considering that we are viewing enlarged images. I have seen many MS66 and MS67 examples with similar sized/numbered marks.

Mark, given your history, I hold your assessment in the highest regards.

However, if I was to buy this coin raw the marks that I mentioned would be part of the conversation. The ding on the brim and the hits on the Confederate shield being the focus of that conversation.

Wouldn't it be the prudent thing to do with the price of a 67 at $2800 and the price of a 64 being only $515?

I'll guess 64.

Mark, given your history, I hold your assessment in the highest regards.

However, if I was to buy this coin raw the marks that I mentioned would be part of the conversation. The ding on the brim and the hits on the Confederate shield being the focus of that conversation.

Wouldn't it be the prudent thing to do with the price of a 67 at $2800 and the price of a 64 being only $515?

Prudent? Absolutely. And each of us has our own limit as to how much extra we are willing to pay for one coin that might be only slightly superior to and/or more appealing than another.

This shows the pitfalls of grading from photos. The first photo of the obverse showed the coin with odd impaired luster. The second one showed the piece to have decent luster that led me not place the coin in the "genuine" category. We all got fooled to an extent.

I would crack that in a heartbeat.

Based upon the images provided, sure. But keep in mind that you might feel very differently, were you to view the coin in hand.

I would crack that in a heartbeat.

Based upon the images provided, sure. But keep in mind that you might feel very differently, were you to view the coin in hand.

Of course. Sadly that's an [often overlooked/forgotten] disclaimer in this forum.