• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1984 D Roosevelt Dime MS 67 FT

8 posts in this topic

This one has been eluding me for a couple of years now...

Year: 1984 D

Grade: MS 67 FT

NGC Pop: 7/1

Purchased: Ebay - Datentype

Cost:$103.50

A tough coin to be had in FT. I've probably looked at 150 examples from mint sets and have only seen one or two coins that might make full torch. Both coins were low grade junkers that I wouldn't waste the time submitting.

I've only seen this coin sell at auction a couple of times and I have to tell on myself that I was too stupid to bid on the last one. I have this stigma about placing early bids on Teletrade, because I always seem to win at my maximum bid, so I wait and like to bid real time (thinking I'm getting a better deal). Well, stupid me, I forgot about this auction and the coin sold for about $25. Obviously, no one else saw it or remembered it either.

So, when this coin came on ebay I bid early and high - daring someone to knock me off - no one did and the auction ended about $50 below my maximum, making me a happy camper. Although a little queasy since I let one get away cheap or did I, because had I placed a $150 bid on Teletrade I feel certain I would have paid $150 + shipping. The Datentype coin was all in at $103.50.

Well now I had another issue, as I thought this coin was grossly underrated by NGC in the registry - still don't understand the point system. So, I swagger over to the NGC website and hit the "Request Score Correction" button and lay out a beautiful case for the 84 D Roosie. I compared it to the 89-D issue that has a pop of 38/13/1, 6x in 67 FT, 18x in 68 FT and 100% more in 69 FT, further building my case for the below average number of total FT specimens and the rather paltry 489 points this coin scores is incongruous to the rest of the set. NGC is great about this sort of thing and I quickly get an email stating this situation was under review.

The result - a 5 point increase for the 84-D and 198 point incresae for the 89-D. As Electric Peak said last week - I just had to laugh... I talked my way into increasing the 89-D with my eloquent case to increase the 84-D. Not that it really matters anyway, but it was fun trying!!

Have a great week!

Todd

Today's pic - the reverse of the 84-D

12330.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

Todd,

Great purchase and an excellent looking coin.

I know Mark has filled quite a few empty/updated slots on the CS, including quite a few of mine. Check him out everyone if you haven't already.

Congrats again, Todd!

Michael