• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Clean or not to Clean...

5 posts in this topic

A battle that has raged for many years.

I've always wondered about this and read many an article about the compelling benefits of swishing your coins. Well, in an accident, I may have finally resolved this issue, at least in my mind.

I've never really been an advocate of cleaning coins. A few years back I bought a jar at a coin show, just out of curiousity. I had some late 60's mint set coins that looked horrible due to cloudy and just plain ugly surfaces. So, I took it home dipped them, rinsed them, patted them dry and on a few re-dipped, rinsed and very carefully dried them. The results were astounding, but I still wasn't sold as to what overall damage this had done to the skin of the metal.

I put the jar in my coin drawer and honestly forgot about it until today, while cleaning out the drawer I found it. I removed the jar and found that a common VG 1934 lincoln cent had fallen in the drawer next to the cleaner. I guess it had leaked a little around the seal during the 1000's of times this supply drawer has been opened and closed, so it ended up in a little pool of cleaner for how long I'm not sure...

Check out the collateral damage. Poor Abe Lincoln. Glad it wasn't worth more than the copper!!

Todd

12312.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

Agreed. It does sort of look alien. It was eZest Coin Cleaner. I just want to call them out on the carpet as being the dreaded cleaner! I'm sure they would all do the same.