• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1956 Proof Franklin Type 1.5????

7 posts in this topic

This is just a generic question but I have been trying to do research on the type one and type two proof franklin half dollars. I have several nice examples the 56 proof; the most notable is a Pf-67 Ultra Cam as well as a very nice Pf-66 Cam both in older generation NGC holders. I looked at the variety plus description and photos, which specifically notes that the eagle’s wings are not well defined; however it notes that there are four feathers to the side of the perch, all of which are not covered or even partially covered by the perch. I’m sure that I didn’t need to add that info, but it’s very relevant to my question. Both of the coins mentioned above have crisp well defined feathers; however they both have four feathers beside the perch that are completely uncovered. I would add pictures but I don’t really have a good way to take the pictures. My question is does the type one have to have indistinct feathers, or does it just simply have to have the four uncovered feathers? I know that this may be very hard to answer without pictures, but basically picture the typical reverse of a type one half, but the feathers are very sharp and distinct all the way through just like on the type two. Any information would be great, just trying to learn the ropes of a series that I find to be intriguing. Thanks in advance!

Don.

Here is a type 1 (rare in DCAM or CAM)

the pink shade is poorly defined feather area

the yellow numbers are the 4 tips seen on type 1's

131277.jpg.6c1b589bae0d54581a86254303215251.jpg

~click me~

This has been around for quite awhile...I had the same question years ago.

Great info there.

I love Franklin halves but I stick with buying MS64's and higher with FBLs.

I never really thought much about the type 1 or type two Franklins and I just have one question:

Are the type one and type two dies only found on the Proofs or were coins in circulation struck with the varieties also?

-Dave

~click me~

This has been around for quite awhile...I had the same question years ago.

Great info there.

I love Franklin halves but I stick with buying MS64's and higher with FBLs.

I never really thought much about the type 1 or type two Franklins and I just have one question:

Are the type one and type two dies only found on the Proofs or were coins in circulation struck with the varieties also?

-Dave

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=3490208

Great info Physics fan! I wasnt aware of the different variations of the 1958 and 1959 circ issues. Do you have any info on the question I asked in particular, and well defined non-weak eagle with four feather tips to the left of the perch? I will try to take pictures to show you guys but I havnt been very luck taking pictures of proof coins, as you can tell from my avatar. Thanks everyone for the posts!

Ah yes, the finest known 1959 DDR PCGS / CAC MS66FBL. Why did I sell that?!?

The 1959 DDR was created by hubbing a Type 1 over a Type 2 proof die. The resulting mule DDR came out prooflike on the earliest impressions, as some of the other Type 2 business strikes also were.